1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inky reporter vs. Brett Myers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter_Sobchak, Aug 26, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

Murph, I agree with most of your sentiment, but at that point, you are a representative of your employer.
    Act like it.
    You want to complain about it, talk to Phillies PR or their upper management.

2. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I would agree with that if I thought it was going to do any good. Teams judge their players by what they do between the lines. Virtually anything else they do short of killing people or dogs doesn't raise their concern.

I repeat, though, that the reporter would have been better off taking the high road. I'm just saying that it's understandable why he didn't.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Don't anybody personalize this. I'm just making a point.

There's a reason why some guys are in major league locker rooms interviewing professional baseball players at 40, and other guys are taking your order at the McDonald's drive-up window.

And it's not all writing talent. Some of it is knowing when to keep your mouth shut.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Excuse me, I guess I'll go burn my business card from when I was VP of McDonaldland Cookies.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I don't necessarily disagree, shot, but better reporters with a bigger pedigree than this guy have gotten into it with players, and weren't anywhere near as witty about doing it.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Because those last two options will accomplish a lot, right?

And shot, I know reporters who have been in "in major league locker rooms interviewing professional baseball players at 40" who would and have done things like what this reporter did.

And to the person who said the reporter made it personal...no, Myers made it personal.

My biggest problem with what the reporter did was pushing Myers on the pop-up comment. We all know it was silly. No need to provoke an argument over it. He's not "wrong" to do it. I just disagree with the choice.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

It worked with the Orioles this week.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Myers made it personal, oop. That doesn't mean the favor must be returned.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I have to admit, I laughed my fucking ass off when I read the AP story on it.

IMO, he was egging on Myers after Myers called him retarded by acting like a retard. It's world-class comedy, though I'm not sure it's exactly professional.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

OK, I just heard the audio and the writer did cross the line, but not until after the retard comment, when he said "you're a class act" and cussing back at him.

The spell retard comment was OK to me. After that, he should've rolled his eyes and walked away.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

The reporter called him a class act and cussed at him?

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If you are the SE, do you discipline the reporter for calling the guy an asshole/dickhead, etc.?

People have been fired for saying stuff like that in newsrooms.

Draft saved Draft deleted