1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inky, Daily News employees authorize strike

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Perry White, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/view.php?id=13333

“We’ve been asked to plan for as many as 150 people to be laid off,” says Inquirer managing editor Anne Gordon. That figure represents more than a third of the newspaper’s editorial staff.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Holy shit.

3. Perry White

http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/view.php?id=13435

The Newspaper Guild of Philadelphia has 3,000 brand-new cardboard signs bearing the word "STRIKE" in red letters, all stacked up and ready to go.

According to an open letter the Guild wrote this week to the community, talks with the management of Philadelphia Media Holdings continue to proceed slowly.
    The Guild is also set to start airing new radio spots featuring some of the newspapers' best-known writers, including Phil Sheridan, Tom Ferrick, Monica Yant Kinney, George Anastasia, Stu Bykofsky and Elmer Smith.

4. When was the last time a strike actually benefitted the strikers?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

when was the last time laying down and getting porked by management benefited employees?

6. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I don't know all the details of the Philly situation, but is management's proposal really the result of a desire to "pork" workers? Or does it arise from a catastrophic blunder on the part of Tierney and co., who overpaid for the papers and need to cut costs? My impression on this has been the latter, though of course that could just be posturing by Tierney and friends.
    Either way, it seems like a really bad situation.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I don't buy their line, STL. They KNEW what they were getting into when they bought the paper. McClatchy opened the books. There were no secrets. Tierney knew exactly what was going on with the numbers; I recall him alluding to that ("we know what we're getting ourselves into," or something along those lines) at the press conference.

8. Perry White

http://willdo.philadelphiaweekly.com/archives/2006/11/newspaper_guild.html

Newspaper Guild press release:

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

We'll miss the dear old tab.

Yes, we will.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Evidently, that wasn't the worst thing he could have called her.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

One must wonder whether the union now pines for Lean Dean buying the paper. After all, they would've known what they were getting into right off the bat.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Non-editorial employees are prepared to cross reporters' and editors' picket lines.

I can understand the other unions not wanting to strike, but wouldn't they be asking us to honor their picket lines? I have no stance on this one; just really curious.

Draft saved Draft deleted