1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Initial Pro Football Hall of Fame Candidates

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 11, 2013.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The candidacy of Jerry Jones kind of reminds me of the candidacy of Billy Martin in baseball. Whatever greatness they exhibited -- either tactically or financially -- is eclipsed by their outsized, difficult personalities. Martin was a terrific manager who led four different teams to first place finishes inside of a decade (Twins, Tigers, Yankees, A's) and a second-place finish with the Rangers, too. He only won one WS title, mostly because he kept getting fired for being a prick. But going on his record alone, he was among the best managers of his generation (if not the best), and probably deserves to be in the Hall. I don't think he'll make it, though, and I don't think Jones will either unless the Cowboys can actually win another title with him as GM/owner.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

At least. Unless there are teams who think he'll turn into Kordell Stewart. I'm guessing there aren't any of those.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He's about a half foot taller than Stewart and probably 30-40 pounds heavier.

Stewart was also very inaccurate. Newton is a much more accurate passer.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

In other words comparing him to Kordell Stewart is ridiculous.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Modell is the owner who isn't in who is most deserving to be in. If he hadn't moved the Browns to Baltimore, he would have been in a long time ago.
    He still should be in for his role in the TV deal and revenue sharing.

Eddie D. was a game changer. I'm still not completely convinced he should be in. I don't think Jones has the resume that DeBartolo does.

Honestly, I'd have zero problem if they shut the door to owners as soon as Modell gets in.

You can make cases for DeBartolo, Kraft and Jones, but it will hardly be a crime if they don't get in.

6. Mizzougrad96

Insanely stupid.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Newton had the best first two years, statistically, in the history of the league.
    He has no supporting cast.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Your owner list and year of induction. I'm not counting Bert Bell, since he was a commissioner also. I removed George Halas and Curly Lambeau because they are listed under the coaching category while Al Davis is not:

1963 Tim Mara
    1963 George Preston Marshall
    1964 Art Rooney
    1967 Charles W. Bidwill, Sr.
    1967 Dan Reeves
    1972 Lamar Hunt
    1992 Al Davis
    1997 Wellington Mara
    2000 Dan Rooney
    2009 Ralph Wilson, Jr.

Since Lamar Hunt was inducted 40 years ago, the only owners to be a finalist and not be inducted are Modell (last year and 2002) and DeBartolo, and DeBartolo only became a finalist two years ago, and Tony Morabito, who got one shot in 1973.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Probably

Kordell would have done much better in today's NFL, though. But he's no Newton.

10. Mizzougrad96

He'd be looking for work with Kerry Rhodes.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

really? I can't see anyone giving two No. 1s for him right now. He hasn't accomplished anything at the NFL level. He's another Matthew Stafford, great fantasy player with stats, but not someone who makes the players around him better.

Other than just shear athletic ability (hell, JaMarcus Russell had that), what do you see in him?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Of that list, I would only take Roger Craig, Warrick Dunn and maybe Terrell Davis. The others can go to the Hall of Very Good. One good, or even great, season does not a Hall of Fame make.

Draft saved Draft deleted