1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Initial Pro Football Hall of Fame Candidates

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 11, 2013.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Again, bar very low for owners in Canton with the enshrinement of Ralph Wilson.
    Jones was more a 'builder' - at least in teaching owners how to make money - than Wilson ever was.
    Ralph signed checks and has run a joke franchise for all but 10 of the last 50-plus years.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The only first-ballot receivers are Rice (2010), Largent (1995), Warfield (1983), Alworth (1978) and Berry (1973).

I don't think that Harrison is next in line based onthe voters' history, but it wouldn't surprise me. If Reed went in this time and Harrison next year, but since Isaac Bruce joins the fray the receiver conundrum continues, with Moss and Owens looming.

Keep in mind the holdover finalists from the year prior almost always make the final 15, so there's really just five spots to fill. I assume Harrison, Brooks and Jones get three slots, so two are up for grabs.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

OK, I get it. You don't like Jerry Jones. I won't be heartbroken if he never gets in, although his influence on the change in the business of the NFL is undeniable.

But there are no fewer games on free TV than there were in 1988. There are two or three in the afternoon and one in prime time, just as there always were (although prime time is Sunday night). There are more games on cable so you might feel like you're missing out, I guess, but the over-the-air offerings match what they were 25 years ago. I guess the one exception would be the old Saturday afternoon games they had in December, but that's balanced out by the increase in playoff games.

And more money for owners and more money for players did not mean higher ticket prices for fans. It's exactly the reverse. More money from fans means more money for owners and players, not the other way around. Basic supply and demand.

There was a lot more demand for the NFL than owners previously knew. Jones showed them how much more.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The goal of being the owner of a sports team is to make a lot of money for yourself and your fellow league owners. I have no idea why Jerry Jones' credentials in that department would be questioned. Evil... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher, even if your points held up, they are akin to saying that Ray Lewis shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame because fans like touchdowns and he prevented them.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So to recap....Evil thought/thinks Cam Newton should not have been drafted in the first round. And that Jerry Jones doesn't belong in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

This man knows his shit! :)

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I love my Seahawks, but no way does Shaun Alexander belong in the HOF.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

He's one of eight players with 100 rushing touchdowns. Everyone with 90 except him, Jerome Bettis and LaDanian Tomlinson is in the Hall of Fame already.

8. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Three good seasons and two great seasons is a HOF career?

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Shaun Alexander is an interesting case because his counting numbers are pretty good for a guy with such a short period of really being relevant. I don't think he deserves to make it, no, but I do think he deserves at least consideration on the level of being a semifinalist.

10. I disagree... But this point wasn't intended to be directly related to Jones' HOF debate.

11. Newton has shown he's not a worthy of a first-round pick, muchless a No. 1 pick. Dispute it all you want, but I am right.
    In two years, when the guy has gone the way of Kordell Stewart, it will be inarguable.

Fuck You Sonner.
    Seriously.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. I am NOT questioning Jones ability to make money.
    But show me a NFL owner whose not rich and didn't get richer by owning an NFL team.
    I also don't think the ability to make money for a team should constitute eligibility to the HOF.

Draft saved Draft deleted