1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Initial 2013 Football Hall of Fame nominees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 27, 2012.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

I find it difficult to believe anyone read Bayless's books.

2. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

They're not bad. The Landry book is fun, as far as blowing up myths. Of course, he can't stay out of the way for very long. One of them touches on personal issues he was going through after a divorce. Shocking that Skip Bayless had been divorced by someone.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

B-Mitch!!!

4. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Allen, Strahan and Sapp are the only who even remotely deserve to be first ballot guys. I question all three but Allen had the best and most complete career, however, at a lesser talked about position.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I completely missed Ogden when I read the original post. Obviously, he'll get in, either this year or next.

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Quarter Back -- Steve Mcnair (No)
    Running Back — Priest Holmes (No)
    Wide Receiver — Keenan McCardell (No)
    Offensive Linemen — Larry Allen (G) (yes) , Tom Nalen (C) (maybe one day), Jonathan Ogden (yes) (T)
    Defensive Linemen — Sam Adams )No)(DT), Warren Sapp (yes, but Brandon Marshall has to induct) (DT), Michael Strahan (yes) (DE), Ted Washington (DT/NT) (no) Bryant Young (DE) (maybe)

Defensive Back — John Lynch (S) (no)
    Kicker — Morten Andersen (maybe)

Allen is the most intriguing to me. I debated last year that Shield should be a first ballot HOFer, but likely wouldn't be because o-lineman rarely ever get that honor. I don't know if Allen was a better player or not....they are extremely close. However, Allen played on a Super Bowl winner and blocked for the NFL's all-time leading rusher. Allen also was probably the most widely known lineman in the league for a while. That helps in the voting.

Ogden should be a lock, but I wonder if Shields will get in this year and make Allen wait a year.

7. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Erik Williams, the other Dallas tackle.

8. Mizzougrad96

It would be interesting to rank Roaf (who just got in) with Shields, Allen and Ogden... I don't even think it's debatable that all will get in.

Allen is probably the most decorated of the four. Shields was the most durable. Ogden and Roaf both played tackle, which should count for something, while Shields and Allen were primarily guards.

One or two will get in this year (season). Whoever doesn't get in this year will not have to wait long... Probably 1-2 years tops...

9. Mizzougrad96

Owners are an interesting debate... I remember talking to an longtime NFL writer who said the only owners who should be in Canton are ones who were founders or guys who played huge roles in the league becoming what it is today. I kind of agreed with that.

I don't think it's enough to just be an owner who spent a shitload of money and had their team win, which is where Bob Kraft, Eddie DeBartolo and Jerry Jones would fall. As a Niners fan, I love Eddie D., but I'm not sure he should be in Canton. I won't be upset if he makes it, but I'm not sure I would vote for him.

I've heard Adam Schefter refer to Pat Bowlen as a future Hall of Famer. Why? Because his team won two titles?

10. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

If Al Davis and Lamar Hunt are in as owners, that's a certain standard. They helped build the league as we know it today.

Putting a winning team on the field isn't enough.

11. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

I see as strong a case for Richmond Webb as most other offensive linemen on the ballot.

12. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Jason Cole laid out DeBartolo's case a few years ago. I can't imagine it's changed much.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-debartolohof080108

Draft saved Draft deleted