1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Initial 2013 Football Hall of Fame nominees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

127 get the nod. Of course they could just simplify from the start and just take the 10 holdovers from last year and pair them with the first-timers.

2013 Pro Football Hall of Fame Nominees

FIRST-YEAR ELIGIBLE
    Quarterback — Steve McNair
    Running Back — Priest Holmes
    Wide Receiver — Keenan McCardell
    Offensive Linemen — Larry Allen (G), Tom Nalen (C), Jonathan Ogden (T)
    Defensive Linemen — Sam Adams (DT), Warren Sapp (DT), Michael Strahan (DE), Ted Washington (DT/NT), Bryant Young (DE)
    Defensive Back — John Lynch (S)
    Kicker — Morten Andersen
    ADDITIONAL
    Quarterbacks — Drew Bledsoe, Randall Cunningham, Ron Jaworski, Neil Lomax, Phil Simms, Danny White (also P)
    Running Backs — Jamal Anderson, Ottis Anderson, Tiki Barber, x-Jerome Bettis, Larry Centers, Roger Craig, Stephen Davis, Terrell Davis, Eddie George, Brian Mitchell (also PR/KR), Gerald Riggs, Herschel Walker, Ricky Watters
    Wide Receivers — x-Tim Brown (also KR), x-Cris Carter, Gary Clark, Mark Clayton, Henry Ellard (also PR), Keyshawn Johnson, Stanley Morgan, x-Andre Reed, Sterling Sharpe, Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith
    Tight Ends — Todd Christensen, Ben Coates
    Offensive Linemen — Tony Boselli (T), Lomas Brown (T), Jim Covert (T), Joe Fields (C), Bill Fralic (G/T), Jeff Hartings (G/C), Jay Hilgenberg (C), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull (C), Joe Jacoby (T), Mike Kenn (T), Jim Lachey (T), x-Will Shields (G), Erik Williams (T), Steve Wisniewski (G)
    Defensive Linemen — Carl Hairston (DE/DT), x-Charles Haley (DE/LB), Ed “Too Tall” Jones (DE), Joe Klecko (DE/DT/NT), Dexter Manley (DE), Charles Mann (DE), Fred Smerlas (NT)
    Linebackers — Cornelius Bennett, x-Kevin Greene (also DE), Ken Harvey, Clay Matthews, Karl Mecklenburg, Sam Mills, Darryl Talley
    Defensive Backs — Eric Allen (CB), Steve Atwater (S), Joey Browner (S), LeRoy Butler (S), Nolan Cromwell (S), Albert Lewis (CB), Dennis Smith (S), Troy Vincent (CB), Everson Walls (CB), x-Aeneas Williams (CB/S), Darren Woodson (S)
    Punters/Kickers — Gary Anderson (K), Sean Landeta (P), Nick Lowery (K)
    Special Teams/Position Player — Steve Tasker (also WR)
    Coaches — Bill Arnsparger, Doug Blevins, Bud Carson, Don Coryell, Bill Cowher, Tom Flores, Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox, x-Bill Parcells, Buddy Parker, Dan Reeves, Marty Schottenheimer, Clark Shaughnessy, Dick Vermeil
    Contributors — K.S. (Bud) Adams, Jr., George Anderson, Bobby Beathard, Gil Brandt, C.O. Brocato, Leo Carlin, Jack Kent Cooke, Otho Davis, x-Ed DeBartolo, Jr., Ron Gibbs, Ralph Kohl, Eddie Kotal, Robert Kraft, Art McNally, Art Modell, Bill Polian, Art Rooney, Jr., Steve Sabol, Carl Storck, Paul Tagliabue, Burl Toler, Sr., Jim Tunney, Ron Wolf, George Young

x-2012 finalist

2. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

If you believe Bayless's books, Brandt was one of the biggest frauds in the Cowboys organization.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Herschel Walker and Mike Lynn should go in together for building Dallas' 90s Super Bowl dynasty.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It will be interesting to see if or how long Larry Allen has to wait to get in... I think he's the only of the first-timers who has a shot to make it in on the first try. Although, I thought Shields was going to make it in on the first try as well.

I would think Strahan and Sapp will get in eventually. Probably Lynch as well.

I've given up guessing when/if any of the receivers will break through...

Best bets for this year are probably Shields, Bettis and Sabol...

It's almost impossible to guess which year coaches and other contributors get in.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Of that list, here's the group I think should get in eventually:

Larry Allen
    Jonathan Ogden
    Warren Sapp
    Jerome Bettis
    Tim Brown
    Cris Carter
    Andre Reed
    Will Shields
    Charles Haley
    Aeneans Williams
    Don Coryell
    Bill Cowher
    Bill Parcells
    Paul Tagliabue
    Robert Kraft
    Steve Sabol

Of that group, the guys who most deserve to get in this year are Allen, Ogden, Bettis, Carter, Shields, Haley, Parcells and Sabol.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think Jonathan Ogden deserves in before anyone on the ballot. He's an eight-time all-pro (four on the first team) and 11-time Pro Bowler. Moreover, I think of him as the best tackle of the modern blind-side generation, ahead of Orlando Pace, Walter Jones, Willie Roaf and a few others.

7. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Why should Bob Kraft be in the Hall of Fame?

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

We've had this debate before, perhaps last year. I think Kraft deserves a lot of credit for keeping the team in Massachusetts when James Orthweim wanted to move them. He helped stabilize the organization as Bill Belichick and Tom Brady dug in. He also reportedly was the lead owner in ending the latest lockout, which you could argue is trivial since the lockout would have ended at some point.

I am not gung-ho about his entry, but I think I would consider voting for him if they started putting in bigger classes as they should. I think the Pro Football Hall of Fame is way too small and Steeler-filled.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'd wait on Kraft. He's only been an owner since 1994 and there are so many deserving choices — players and coaches — who have been waiting. Careers that ended close to a decade ago still haven't been rewarded. Kraft's not going any where for a while. It's not an Art Modell/Bud Adams/Ralph Wilson situation

The team's on-field accomplishments since he took over would be enough, since there was very little success prior. In 18 years they've made the playoffs 13 times, made six Super Bowls and won three. Throw in keeping the team in Mass, building a stadium with his own money, the labor assist and turning the franchise into a model one means he'll get in eventually.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I was definitely thinking of Dan Rooney when I put Art Rooney II on my list. How is he already up for induction? He's only 60 and has only been in control for a decade.

11. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

A noteworthy scandal also happened right under Kraft's nose, maybe even with his complicity.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I agree with you. Out of the first years, Ogden is the name that sticks out the most. He is a no brainer hall of famer, in my opinion.

The D-lineman are interesting. I am not sure Sam Adams is a Hall of Famer, but he played very consistently at a high level for a long time. I just don't think longevity should be a criteria that puts you over the top. Sapp has a bit better case, because he not only had the longevity, but he had star appeal. He was a bit better player. I am not sure I'd vote for him, but he is going to get some support. Strahan has the best case of all of them, except the thing is he got more of the glory being a d-end rather than a tackle, so I think that makes him more name recognizable for a lot of people. I think he will get a good look. I am meh on Ted Washington. He was a load in the middle and could make a 3-4 defense, but he wasn't a Hall of Famer in my opinion. And same deal with Bryant Young. Had a great, long career, and was a really good D-end, but not a hall of famer in my humble.

Draft saved Draft deleted