1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inglorious Basterds

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

my favorite chapters in order:

first (landa interviewing the french dairy farmer).

second (introducing the basterds; love pitt's monologue, love stiglitz's backstory, love when the nazi colonel tells pitt to fuck himself, which leads to roth's big swing).

fourth (bar scene)

third (introduction of private zoeller, who is the most important character, because he's the one who fell in love with emmanuel and had the premier moved to her theater so that operation kino couold take place. lots of good stuff in this chapter).

final chapter.

the thing is, i love the movie.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

This just about sums up my feelings on it. There were a bunch of parts I really liked, but the move as a whole just wasn't coherently put together enough.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

LA Daily News film critic apparently was watching "The Emperor's New Clothes" when he bought a ticket for Basterds.

http://insidesocal.com/reeldeal/2009/12/top-films-of-2009.html

I liked the movie, but geez . . . .

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

enjoyed that read. then again, i watched it tonight, so he was tapping into a fresh nerve. (wish there was more stiglitz.)

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Watched it last night;

I knew what the baseball bat scene consisted of, and when he made contact, I had to turn my head. The whole Teddy ball game bit, with him knocking the ball onto Lansdown; That was a little over the top. Just didn't even fit.

All in all, I thought the movie was about 45 minutes too long. I did enjoy how they tied Shoshanna back into it, but don't ever remember what happened to the french farmer at the beginning. Unless he was killed when they shot up the house full of Jews.

Brad Pitt was very, very good as Aldo. Did the two basterds in the theater die in the blast? One would assume so, since we never saw them again.

The bar scene was very well done. From the number 3, all the way through; thought it was well done.

Like I said, little long; Good movie.

I give it 3.5 scalps out of 5.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

QT loves Eli Roth.

That love is markedly overblown/misplaced . . .
    but just making the point.

Draft saved Draft deleted