1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inglorious Basterds

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Aug 20, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Opens tonight at midnight. Here's the first review I've seen. Definitely at the top of our list (right, HC?) :)

http://www.thestar.com/movies/moviereview/article/683050

Top-billed Brad Pitt is merely amusing as Tennessee moonshiner Lt. Aldo "The Apache" Raine, who leads scalp-hunting Jewish-American soldiers against Hitler in the Nazi-occupied France of World War II. But he's almost a Sgt. Rock parody and he's MIA for vast stretches. (Martin Wuttke's sputtering Hitler, meanwhile, is close to a Mel Brooks homage.)

The film's real star is Germany's Christoph Waltz, a multilingual wizard who inhabits the role of Col. Hans Landa, the smirking Gestapo officer known as "The Jew Hunter" for his uncanny sleuthing. Already feted with an acting award at Cannes, Waltz is going to ride this movie all the way to an Oscar nomination.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Here's Ebert's take. (He gives it four stars by the way):

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090819/REVIEWS/908199995

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've heard it's amazing... I don't think I'm going to find the time to see it this weekend, but it won't be long after that...

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I can't remember the last time I was this pumped for a movie.

5. Mizzougrad96

A close friend of mine says it's every bit as good as Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction....

6. Steak Snabler

Jackie Brown?

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hasn't been a great summer for movies so I can't wait.

We'll probably hold off until the crowds die down or I'll play hooky one afternoon so I can see it with HC.

BTW, Mizzou, TIFF begins September 10. Sounds like it's going to be one of the best festivals in a while.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/tiff/article/683111

You should really make the trek north one of these years. I'll even buy you a beer. :)

8. Mizzougrad96

A really good movie that could have been tremendous if Tarantino had cast the lead part properly...

One of my favorite books of all-time.

9. Steak Snabler

Great book, I agree. But the movie kind of rambled all over the place. It was more about Tarantino's love for Pam Grier than telling an interesting story ...

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

To quote Vincent Vega, "That's a bold statement"

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Can someone help me convince Dr. J to see this movie? He wants to see G.I. Joe or Halloween II. Please my friends, I beg you.

12. Mizzougrad96

I'm sorry, but anyone who would rather see GI Joe than this should be shot... ;D

Rob Zombie has done a pretty good job with the Halloween franchise, so I can't really blame him for wanting to see it...

Draft saved Draft deleted