1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Informational meetings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by doodah, Dec 28, 2011.

1. doodah

doodah Guest

My career counselor advised all communications majors to email potential employers and ask for "informational meetings" with them. Has anybody here actually conducted one of those? How do you go about arranging one?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Ask an editor if they have time to chat during lunch. Don't ask about openings or the potential to work for the company.

Some advice:

http://shiftingcareers.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/11/19/my-pet-peeves-about-informational-interviews/

http://shiftingcareers.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/29/mastering-the-informational-interview/

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ask for a sidebar conference. It works in court.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Bring a notebook.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And a pen. Make sure it writes first.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

My boss gave me a pen for Christmas. I need a notebook before I'm set.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

We could turn this into a useful thread.

I went to a post-Peace Corps seminar and we had a panel on the topic. Not for the news industry, of course, but everyone's looking for work.

Tips from that panel:

Respect the person's time. Don't ask for more than 30 minutes; 15 would be more like it. Give an idea of what kind of suggestions you're looking for: their career track, their field, their company, whatever.

Prepare questions in advance. Be ready to end when you said you'd end, but be open to if the person wants to continue the conversation.

At the end, ask for names of three other people to talk to in the field and ask permission to mention to those people where you got their names.

Dress professionally.

Remember the interview is for you, yes, but it's not about you. You're there to gather information, not sell yourself. You want to make a good impression, but this isn't the time to list your credentials. Be professional.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I just got an awesome notebook at a bowl game. Sure, it has bowl logos all over it. But it's dope. SWAG, amiright?

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Great post, KJIM.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We COULD turn this into a useful thread if the comedians didn't feel the need to give their material a workout. It's actually a very legit question and one I would encourage all young wannabes to follow.

In Richmond, a young man driving through town asked if he could stop by. We had a nice chat, he made a very favorable impression and he moved way up on my list of potential hires. Someone else got him first. He's now covering a major league baseball team up north.

Just a couple of weeks ago, a young man was in town over his break and wanted to chat. I had about an hour between the end of a Redskins game and when the copy started coming in, so he came by and we had a nice visit. He may end up working for us this summer.

WAY back when, I had a couple of these set up in Florida to try and find something upon graduation. While there, the paper I had interned for called. Got lucky, in other words.

It is a good idea.

And some of you folks who think you are funny? You aren't. You are a pain in the ass and you need to grow up.

12. Starting17

Starting17 Member

For those younger writers who don't like the term wannabe's but still want advice, any good ideas for questions to ask. Like you said don't ask about employment, but what should be asked.

Draft saved Draft deleted