1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Informal poll (spinoff Rushin): Have you traveled outside of North America?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Almost_Famous, Jun 13, 2006.

1. But, seriously, 'yab. What IS the deal with airplane food anyway?
    I actually left the continent once for the purpose of writing about soccer.
    So there.
    Nyah.

2. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Last five years....Does Alaska count? Okay fine. Nope, not out of country in last five years.

As far as airplane food, I've ssen a report on how your tastebuds change at high elevations, and supposedly people were on the ground were given an identical meal to that served in the air, ground folk said it was good, air folk called it bland.

I just don't eat on airplanes.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Which begs the question: Are there snakes on airplanes in Ireland? Samuel L. Jackson wants to know.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to see Iceland. How was it?

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Man, I envy some of y'all for those travels. I think I've been pretty lucky myself, spent considerable time in 37 states, among some fantastic road trips around different parts of the country with my grandparents growing up. Haven't been outside it (Niagara Falls doesn't count for Canada no more than Tijuana counts for Mexico, although I've been to both), but I want to.

One day, the world. Can't wait to get started on those places, too. ;D

6. I've seen almost all of the 50 states -- only missing Montana, Hawaii and Alaska (and Mississippi, but I'm not in a hurry to get there). ... Only been out of the country once... to Mexico City. Spent a fascinating week there. Loved every second of it, and ate the best meal of my life on that trip.

I'm itching to go international again as soon as possible, but Mrs. CrazyCat and I are paying for our own wedding later this year, so that's soaking up some necessary funds. The next scheduled international trip is a ski trip to Chile in '08 with another esteemed member of SportsJournalists.com.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Thailand in 2004, two months before the tsunami. Would jump at the chance to go back.

Oh, and I met a guy who lives in the town next to mine. Small fuckin' world, mang.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Also removing the 5-year caveat for some, I've been to...

Israel
    Germany
    Austria
    Switzerland
    Amsterdam
    Austrailia
    New Zealand
    Puerto Rico
    Bahamas
    Canada

Must, must, must make it to Ireland soon...

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Just France, the Netherlands and Britain. 47 of the 50 states though. Left on the list: the Dakotas and Alaska.

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Not in the last five years..

11. 46 states (haven't been to Alaska, Hawaii, Oregon, South Carolina)

Five Canadian provinces (BC, Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec)

Countries since 2000:

Mexico
    Australia
    China
    Belgium
    Netherlands
    UK
    Ireland
    Italy
    Greece
    Luxembourg
    Germany
    Switzerland
    Austria
    Czech Republic
    Slovakia
    Japan
    Singapore
    Morocco
    Spain
    Portugal

Hope to knock off someplace in South America soon to complete the continents (save Antartica).

12. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

In the last five, I've been to London, Amsterdam and Scotland for a week. Taking that label off, been to Israel four times and Prague. Oh, and spent 30 minutes in Greece going from the airport to the port.

Draft saved Draft deleted