1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Info on Obama's academic past starting to trickle out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, May 22, 2012.

1. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Lemme see if this failed academic can translate:

You're right, but I can construct a hypothetical where your being right ends in some sort of vague hypocrisy.

(I say that all in good humor. But in all seriousness, this hypothetical hypocrisy can't bother you more than the overt anti-intellectualism that's gripped hold of the conservative movement for 50 years.)

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Kerry is no intellectual. George Bush was no intellectual. Kerry came out of boarding school and got pushed to places most people don't get a sniff of as easily as he came by them. Bush came out of a great family and got pushed along to places most people don't get a sniff of as easily as he came by them.

Regardless, neither of them are the brightest our country has to offer, and neither of them are intellectuals. Kerry looks more the part, which made people assume he is brighter than he really is. Bush is a doof, which made people conclude he's, well, a doof.

Obama on the other hand? Doesn't matter if he was a goofball growing up (who wasn't?) or what path he took to get to where he is. It's obvious he has a ton more on the ball intellectually than either of those guys -- or most people with presidential aspirations. Can anyone honestly deny that?

What always amazes me. ... Why that is a bad thing for so many people? All things being equal, don't we want our president to be a bright guy who can grasp complex things and think well on his feet?

For what it is worth, of the presidents in my lifetime. ... Bill Clinton was easily the most intelligent -- off the charts intelligence in that man. And an ability to win people over. He had serious character flaws. And he's full of shit, in my opinion. But that guy is quick on his feet, can grasp more complex info than most, and had this amazing talent for relating things to even the most ordinary people in a way that made them connect with him. Whether you liked him or not, thought he was full of shit or not, that is a serious talent.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

As a journalist, I love Clinton's character flaws. Makes him so much more interesting.

As an American, I hate them. They undercut what should be regarded as an all-time great president and presidency, and, honestly, American.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That's probably a reasonable translation. You damn newspaper types, always condensing things! :D

I would argue with you re: the anti-intellectualism. I was middle-left until my mid-20s, when I went seriously middle, and then in my 30s I drifted even more rightward. I find that the conservative/libertarian case is seriously demanding intellectually. It's also worth noting that quoting "The Road to Serfdom" is decidedly not effective pick-up banter!

5. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Agreed.

However, what amazes me is that today -- it's still early -- it appears that intelligent man who is the incumbent will have to break a sweat to beat Romney.

Romney? Ugh. No way in hell Obama shouldn't be able to crush him.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

What were Bill Clinton's great accomplishments again? I guess we could give him credit for a double-bubble economy that took us all for a short-lived joy ride before the bubbles burst. The good old days! But he may as well have been a Republican considering how much he did for business interests relative to how little he did for working class folks. His foreign policy was indecisive and, I think, costly in the long run. As intelligent as he is, I'd like to have seen him show some resolve.

7. Dick Whitman

Romney isn't exactly Sarah Palin, intellectually. He can bring it a little bit, too. He has one more degree from Harvard than the President, for whatever that's worth.

8. Dick Whitman

You're right. His political legacy is certainly up for discussion. But I guess what I'm getting at is that it's unfortunate that we can't even have that honest discussion because the character flaws end up being the argument ender. It's a threshold he can't clear.

9. doctorquant

One thing's for sure ... In my book Bubba would beat W. on the "who'd you rather drink a beer with?" question. You drink a beer with Bubba, you might have a really, really, really good time! ;)

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As a matter of economic theory? Cultural practice? Political science?

I ask because 'seriously demanding' intellection was the last thing any American ever asked of its avatar, the Reagan presidency.

12. doctorquant

Economic theory ... the others are (or can be) derivative of the first. But no, I don't think many/most of the people who voted for Reagan (and still look back fondly on this presidency) did/do so because he appealed to them intellectually.

Draft saved Draft deleted