1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indy Star major shakeup...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by vonnegutnaked2, Jun 27, 2013.

1. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

I get feeling disrespected by your bosses. But man, this dude really wants to cover IU till the end of time, doesn't he?

Sounds like a version of hell to me, but to each his own.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Congrats but IMO he didn't need to say that he'll continue to take the high road with The Star.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Imagine if they still had a Butler beat writer who had some connections? They would've probably busted open the Brad Stevens story long before the Celtics issued a release.

Sometimes stuff like this blows up in your face.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's a huge reach.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

True. This is the time of year where college basketball writers are taking vacation and there is almost nothing to do on that beat. And there are very few people even around in college athletic offices, so those close to Stevens at Butler probably weren't even in the know.

6. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Just like the Celtics beat writers broke the heck out of this? This hire came out of nowhere.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah. It's not like Stevens was going to call up the beat writer and say "Hey, Danny Ainge just called and I'm considering interviewing for the Celtics' job".

If you're the beat guy, do you call up the coach every single time a job opens and ask "Are you interested in the such-and-such job?" Would you really expect him to tell you even if he was?

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"More than fair."

What on earth does that mean?

"I resign."

"OK, good luck."

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

One thing that surprised me about this whole affair was that Gannett appeared to be hiring additional staff. You may agree or disagree with the personnel moves but I thought it was encouraging that staff were being added. Now, with Hutchens leaving, I wonder if they will actually increase staff or if his position will be eliminated.

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Is Jim Lefko still on staff?

Regarding LanceyHoward comment: Yes, I'm also skeptical if they actually bring in additional bodies.

11. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Yes

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Unless they had some sort of non-compete thing going on?

Draft saved Draft deleted