1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indy Star apologizes to Coach K for illustration

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Apr 2, 2010.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Count me among the "Not the best execution of a concept I've ever seen, but not worth all of this and certainly not worth an apology" camp. And Coach K? Geez, I think he'll survive this terrible ordeal.

I know there were a lot of negatives about it, but I miss the days of, "Hey, we're the newspaper, and if you don't like it, tough shit."

I know, I know ... that attitude was part of the reason newspapers ended up in this position in the first place.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Did you call it, or did you call it?

And in his apology, he brags about the "checking and rechecking." And yet, if MileHigh's pipeline is correct, the art was basically outsourced with no oversight. ::)

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I read the Ryerson column, along with all the reader comments, which were predictable (what a disgrace, you made Indianapolis look bad).

I guess I have the arrogant attitude that caused newspapers to go downhill. Because this is another example of the complete wussification of the American newspaper.

It started with the eliminating of booze and cigarettes from the newsroom, then led to cubicles, and it all went downhill from there.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

Absolutely. I mean, get over it.

I'd made him look like Satan. Much more fitting. With all the Dukies as little devils behind him.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

The editor is too pompous in the apology. It's your fault, buddy, accept it. Quit bragging that you talked to coach K and Duke officials about it and they were gracious. You guys screwed up; you didn't need to write any more about it. Let the cartoonist write it.

6. Except they didn't.

Larry David can splash urine on Jesus Christ but the Indianapolis Star can't draw devil horns on Coach K. as an illustration of the nation's contempt for that program.

This is the world we're living in.

7. VJ

VJ Member

My favorite part of this story is the writer being offended by the illustration, as if he shouldn't expect a story about the entire country hating Duke to result in something like this.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

You got that right.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Bad week for the Indy Star

http://deadspin.com/5510305/indy-newspaper-butler-cheerleader-botch-their-victory-celebrations

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

"What about that kid, sitting down, opening an edition of the Indianapolis Star, right now, in a branch at the local library and finding drawings of pee-pees and wee-wees on Coach K and the Five Chinese Brothers? Doesn't HE deserve better? Look. If you think this is about lack of manpower, you'd better think again. This is about that Dukie's right to read a paper without getting his mind warped! Or: maybe that turns you on . . . maybe that's how you get your kicks. You and your good-time buddies!"

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I can buy that.
    Don't you agree it shows lack of class, however, as the host city's main news outlet, to put down one team with the stereotypical everybody hates Duke story. If you are going to run it, fine, but put it inside. It's cliche and kind of rude with all the Duke fans in town spending cash all over Indianapolis.

I am against this guy's pompous apology, however. I think he needed to shut up on this one and not act like the messiah of the newspaper industry.

12. When the DNC was in Denver in 2008 should the Denver Post have only run fluff pieces on Obama and Biden? After all, there were thousands of Democrats in town spending money all over Denver. Seems rude to scrutinize them like that, no?

Draft saved Draft deleted