1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indy Star apologizes to Coach K for illustration

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Apr 2, 2010.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Interesting to see that the AP ran a long item of this on the wire, along with a photo of the front page that had the illustration.
    I thought Coach K looked good with the cartoon-y mustache. He should grow one.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

From the Pipeline. Not as solid as Moddy's pipeline but pretty damn solid:

The concept didn't originate in sports. An outside designer dismissed some other options and suggestions and went ahead with the Coach K concept without much oversight. Nobody on the sports desk saw it until the state edition. In fact, it wasn't even complete for the state edition. But Dennis Ryerson eventually was called after it was questioned and he spiked for the city final edition.

3. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

He had a big whiny apology on the op-ed today.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=20104030322

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have no idea what the uproar is. I didn't earlier today, and I still don't now.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

At least they didn't have Coach K eating a McGangbang.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think Coach K being the good coach that he is used it as opportunity to motivate / take pressure of the kids.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

What kind of a fucking workflow do they have where not even the copy editor or slot person sees what art is with the story they are editing and writing jumpheads for?

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

No shit. If that's common, this won't be the last of the sports-page fuck-ups.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Very typical Ryerson.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The story idea is old and outdated. It has been done thousands of times. I know they're back in the Final Four after a long absence by their standards, but it's still a cliche.

11. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

This discussion, and Coach K's reaction to it, are exactly why newspapers will endure, albeit likely in a much different role:

Our opinion matters.

What newspapers print is expected to be above what is heard on the radio, on TV or read on the Internet. While those mediums have their advantages, newspapers (and their perceived old fashioned method of news dissemination) simply are held to a higher standard.

If any one of a hundred Web sites or TV shows had done the same thing as the Indy Star, they would have received a pass; media consumers, to some extent, expect childishness of them. What they say is rarely saved for posterity's sake, mostly slipping into the ether of the media noise. Alternatively, people fill scrapbooks with newspaper articles, come to us when they want the "real story." The ink is there forever.

Newspapers are the adults at the media party. Have a beer bong with a blogger, make out in the closet with a TV journalist, but when the cops show up or you want the place cleaned up in the morning -- you come to newspapers. And we don't doodle on pictures.

12. The fact that this is any kind of controversy whatsoever just absolutely baffles me.

Draft saved Draft deleted