1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indy 500 says no to BLOGS!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Cook, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

http://johpadgett.com/monticello/?p=87#more-87

Frankly, given how things have gone for the Indy 500 the past 10 years, it needs every interested media party it can get. I'm not sure it's in the position to turn down anybody anymore, for any reason.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Agreed. Some real back-assward thinking.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It is too late to apply for credentials though ... by 10 days. If you want to staff the event, do it the right way.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

True enough, Bubbler. One way to gain credibility would be to establish contact well in advance, not two weeks before activity begins at a three-week long event.

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway media folks are about as helpful as you'll find in sports, and I'd say they are very generous with their credentials. Every hamlet in the state with a paper and every niche motorsport publication gets a chair in their massive press rooms. But you've gotta draw the line somewhere. IMS has its own in-house video production and it is their right to not let every joe with a videocamera inside. As for the BLOG's complaints about the US Grand Prix, that event is out of the Speedway's hands when it comes to media. Getting credentials for F1 is extremely tough, they thumb their noses at darn near everybody.

And no, I don't work for the track. But I'll spend a boatload of time there the next few months...

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Not me. Bernie Ecclestone kisses my ass. :D

That was one part of the blog I did find mysterious. To my knowledge, the deadline for the USGP has not passed. But you're right, it's extremely difficult to get approved for that race.

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

It's May 10 for USGP credential requests to be postmarked. IMS sends them on to the FIA. The U.S. gets 40 print reporter credentials.
    I think Sullivan saw this guy as a fan (or a fan's producer), and given the yahoos that populate the track in May, I can't say I blame him. The 500 deadline is passed, but if the NY Times wanted to add a reporter, I don't think there would be a problem, even though the mammoth press room is actually very crowded on race day. And you don't want to know about the smaller press room before that.
    IMS has handled Brickyard 400 credentials in the past and will still, unless NASCAR's taken that over, which I doubt. Application time hasn't started yet.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Uh, blog dude, just buy some tix (or get someone to give them to you) and smuggle your little camcorder in there anyway. Film away til someone makes you stop. That's real citizen journalism -- and will show what kind of fun the "average" person in Indy can do.

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I love it. Another loss for bloggers. Back to the basement and turn on the TV.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I think dude applied late on purpose. If he gets credentialed, all is well. If he doesn't, he can create a stink that would generate more publicity for his site than just going to the Indy 500.

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Last year, the Indy 500 told us to cut back our amount of requests because of space (and IMS has a HUGE media center), so methinks they're not hurting too much for interest right now.

The Indy 500 isn't quite what it used to be in terms of attention in the overall world, but as far as racing journos go, it still seems like *everybody* is there.

11. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

So what. I don't read blogs, anyway. A waste of time.

12. I wouldn't say blogs are a waste of time. There are a lot of beat reporters out there who write great blogs that give fresh information and some even use it to post breaking news. Doesn't sounds like a waste of time to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted