1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indians catcher Carlos Santana suffers horrifc injury

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I think I've said this before on some thread, but why don't these teams auction seats two hours before game time? You could do it all online. Yes, there are going to be some pretty pissed off people who paid full price, but paying full price guarantees a seat. If you hope to win one in an auction, there's a chance you don't get one.
    But if you did it this way, a family of four in Cleveland could put in a $100 bid on four box seats and possibly come away with them. They get good seats, the team makes money on the tickets - because $100 is more than $0 - not to mention whatever concession stands the people will buy.
    Worst case scalpers buy all the seats, but that still benefits the team because if one guy buys 100 tickets for 5 bucks each, it's better than not selling them at all.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Camden Yards is closing in on 20 years old. It's a tremendous venue but I can understand why the team might want to do some updating. Same goes for the Jake.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Camden Yards started the current trend of trying to build brand-spanking-new stadiums that reminded us of stadiums from 80 years ago. And in one of the greatest ironies, When these stadiums designed to look 80 years old get to be 20 years old, they're too old.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

An update: Out for the season.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Actually, out 4-6 months. Knee surgery.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

There's optimism, then there's optimism.
    http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/tribe_matters/2010/08/05/doctors-pick-surgical-solution-for-santana/

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

So it did turn out to be pretty awful after all.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

[​IMG]

It runs in the family.

9. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Should have watched this, he might not have gotten hurt:

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

1. McCallum

1A. Prothro

1B. Jason Kendall

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's just what the official name of a baseball season is.

If you look at the Hall of Fame criteria, it says that a player has to play "10 championship seasons."

Growing up, I thought that meant you had to play for 10 World Series champions until my dad explained it to me.

12. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Hey bartender ... JOE BOO needs a refill!

Draft saved Draft deleted