1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indianapolis Star prep reporter opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jim lefko, Feb 25, 2011.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

All right, smart alecks... :)

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Was this the job held by Patrick Dorsey?

3. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Yes.

4. jim lefko

jim lefko New Member

Just wanted to provide some closure for this position. After evaluating more than 225 candidates, flying a couple of applicants in for interviews and settling on a person for the job, the opening went on hold for a while, then disappeared for good this past week when we had a substantial reduction in force.

Thanks to all who participated in the process. I wish the outcome had been different.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Man, talk about a bummer on both ends, for those who applied/interviewed and for Jim and his crew who had to sort through the pile, only to have it end in vain. Wow. Jim, if you're reading, I'm sorry.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Hey Jim... I feel for you guys down there in Indy. You have a classy operation.

7. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Not meant to be a joke or I'm kissing butt, if that's what you're implying. (If not, then sorry for misunderstanding it.) Not Jim's fault the job search went sour.

9. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

I was just pointing to your post, in agreement.

Jim gets back to everyone to let them know where they stand. To do that 225+ times plus interviews, only to have the position whacked, is brutal.

And I feel for the person who would've had a sweet gig and is either back on the job hunt or stuck with the paper they were ready to leave.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

OK... to be honest, I didn't know what you meant by that. That's why I included the "I'm sorry" in there if I misread it. Jim is a good person in my dealings I've had with him. I've applied twice for positions and he's always been good even at e-mail.

Thanks for the fast reply! :)

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you are an editor with approval to fill an opening, I think you are better off selecting a "good" candidate right away instead of spending extra time to get the "best fit" and have no job at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted