1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indianapolis Star prep reporter opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jim lefko, Feb 25, 2011.

1. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

Ah. I was confused because you said the 1st and not 4th. I wasn't sure if it was some April Fool reference that made no sense.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Buyer's market. My current job gave me less than 3 weeks to move 1,200 miles. They essentially said "we need you by then and that's that."

3. RangerBear

RangerBear New Member

I would have to imagine there are plenty of folks willing to pack up and move across country for a gig like this one. Myself being one of them.

4. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

It's because you are so ridiculously talented. They just couldn't wait.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's silly.

6. If I was pursuing a job I really wanted, I would not let my time at my current gig influence me either way. Because you know if a newspaper had to make cuts, they wouldn't be concerned about how long you had been there. Why do we owe more loyalty than our bosses show to us?

7. Cheng Sio

Cheng Sio New Member

Ditto

8. zhbuchanan

zhbuchanan New Member

But what if your current gig is your first job out of college, and you feel the sports editor who hired you took a big chance on you? I'm close with him and feel that I (stupidly, naively perhaps) gave the impression that I wouldn't jump ship at the first opportunity during my job interview.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Then don't. But don't expect the Star to change their hiring needs to fit that.

10. zhbuchanan

zhbuchanan New Member

Why would I expect the Star to change anything? I'm debating whether to apply or not, not whether to convince the Star to accept my circumstances.

11. FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

12. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

FYI the "community sections" language in the ad would seem to indicate this a bureau job out of one of the suburban offices. They help with the main section as needed but you'd mainly be doing township/doughnut county preps. The rest is added to make the job sound enticing but would be a small percentage of the workload.

Draft saved Draft deleted