1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indianapolis advice needed...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BadgerBeer, Oct 1, 2007.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

More specifically on St. Elmo's...gotta have a shrimp cocktail. The sauce is insane.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If you don't feel like springing for St. Elmo's, Harry & Izzy's next door has the shrimp cocktail, too. The place is owned by the St. Elmo's folks and, of course, Peyton Manning.

The whole Mass. Ave. stretch is cool if you're arty, or even if you're not. A lot of little funky places. As for Broad Ripple, Plump's Last Shot is full of Indiana high school memorbilia, what with the place being owned by the legendary Bobby Plump, who hangs there often. (Aside on Bobby Plump: a friend of mine told me the story of how he recently was on the Hinkle floor with Plump for a Butler event, with Plump pointing out the exact spot on the floor where he hit his famed shot. Then Plump hit nine of 10 in street clothes from about 15 feet out. Not bad for a 70-year-old.)

Other good eating spots: the Rathskeller (in the Athaneum, on the Mass Ave stretch), and, in a shameless plug, Jockamo's Upper Crust in Irvington (east side), which should be open by then. It's owned by a good friend of mine who managed the Broad Ripple location of Bazbeaux's for a long time. (He's have an opening party in mid-October, so I presume the restaurant itself might be open by the end of the month.) He's really been responsible for a lot of Bazbeaux's success the last decade, and I'm not just saying that because he always grabs the really good beer from the restaurant when we're getting together to drink.

Speaking of high school hoops, some teams might be starting up that weekend. It might be fun to take in a game, preferably in one of the rural schools outside Indianapolis. It might not be quite like it used to be, but Indiana high school ball is still special.

Also, the art museum there is good, and just had a big expansion, I believe. That's northwest. Another popular tourist spot is Conner Prairie in Fishers, which is an 1836 village with actors recreating life at that time. It's a lot less cheesy than it sounds. Plus, it has a thing where you and other tourists play escaped slaves looking for spots along the Underground Railroad.

3. accguy

accguy Member

If the Weber Grill is open there, I recommend it. That's almost a must stop for me in Chicago.

And while this might not be a popular opinion, here it is: St. Elmo's is overrated. It's a fine steak, but not worth the cash. I would only go there if someone else is paying. You can get a better steak in Indy at Mo's (on the other side of downtown near where Market Square Arena used to be).

4. playthrough

At St. Elmo's you pay a little extra for the experience, won't argue that. But it is a 100-something year-old institution in Indy. You can get a good steak at any number of places -- St. Elmo, Morton's, Ruth's Chris, Mo's and The Capital Grille -- all within about a 6-block area of each other. And Weber Grill is indeed open, haven't been there but it's tough to miss the giant grill sticking out of the side of the building.

5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Having lived in Indy as recently as a couple of years ago... the advice here is all extremely solid. Bazbeaux is the best pizza ever, although I preferred the pan crust bayou chicken.

St. Elmo's is overpriced but the experience is something people who like shrimp cocktail should try at least once.

Alcatraz was excellent when I was there.

And if you like seafood, get out to Eagle Creek (on the westside, off 38th) and go to Rick's Boatyard Cafe. One of the best meals I've had in my time in Indy.

For late night scene, Broad Ripple is the best and on the weekend that you are there, there might be a festival or something in downtown near the memorials... usually good outdoor type food at those, especially Rib Fest.

6. Again, solid advice here. St. Elmo's indeed isn't worth the money, but the shrimp cocktail is excellent. (Is there any way you can sit at the bar and eat one?)

Circle Centre mall is fantastic, and Broad Ripple is a nice area in which to eat/party. (Loved Plump's Last Shot. It's a shame what Indiana HS basketball has become.)

25 years ago, Indy might have been one of the dullest big cities in North America. Now, it's one of the better ones.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

You could also do the unofficial Pacers crime tour at Club Rio and 8 Seconds Saloon, though my gut instinct tells me your wife at least would not go to the former. Then you can hit Jermaine O'Neal's club, Seven, in Broad Ripple. Right down the street from Plump's Last Shot, actually.

8. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I second the Slippery Noodle. Had a great time there one night. I liked Alcatraz as well, but was concerned that if I imbibed too much, those steps couldn't handle a rolling Hustle.

I'll also second the Speedway. The museum is very cool; too bad it's too late in the year to get in a round at Brickyard Crossing. I fear one of my great regrets in life will be failing to play there when I had the chance.

9. playthrough

Hey, it better not be too late for golf in Indy in late Oct./early Nov.! I'm sure Brickyard Crossing is open until the weather gets lousy.

10. Hustle

Hustle Guest

My fault. I thought it was late Nov./early Dec. and failed to actually look.

You are absolutely right, PT.

11. playthrough

No problem. I get edgy when thinking about the end of the Midwest golf season :(

Also, Indianapolis in my opinion is a very underrated golf town.

12. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Vegas and Phoenix would appreciate your tourism dollars. I hear there's some year-round golfin' there. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted