1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana student sues over school graduation prayer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You want to pray out loud at graduation? Go to a private school.

You want to go to school for free? Don't pray out loud. Do it in your moment of silence.

2. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Private schools are cheap.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Playthrough, if the kid had asked the superintnedent to drop the prayer, he would have been laughed out of the office. Greenwood's got a lot of Southern Baptists and the like, who I'm sure believe Satan lives in the school valedictorian.

Filing a lawsuit is not attention-whoring when you're right.

By the way, because the pastor in the article believes majority always rules, I'm sure he has no trouble with the Senate using reconciliation to pass health reform by a majority vote.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Lawsuits keep the powerful honest, to a degree.

Just because someone files one doesn't make them an attention whore. They're filing it because they believe they've been wronged, in some manner, and are seeking justice.

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I grew up near Greenwood and went to a different, but very similar high school. There was all sorts of student led praying before various events. I am now and was then a practicing Christian. I didn't think much about it until one day one of my best friends, the only Jew in the school, told me how much all the praying to Jesus bothered him. You only knew he was Jewish if he told you, and he hardly told anyone.

Anyway, I asked him why he never said anything if the praying bothered him. He was afraid to make himself an outcast, like the one Jehovah's Witness in our class whom everyone thought was strange in part because they didn't understand his beliefs. So my friend kept his mouth shut and lived with it, despite how unsettling it was for him.

My point is this: whatever this kid's motivations are, his standing up has the benefit of protecting those in the minority who are afraid to raise their voice. The kid is clearly in the right legally and his actions will have benefits for a far greater number of people than just the one.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

This.

7. old_tony

Well, since the point of this thread is that Christianity isn't allowed in a school, you should have no problem with it.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I wonder how many of his classmates will exercise their FA rights during his speech.

9. old_tony

Maybe you should read it again.

10. old_tony

I'm sure you make the same argument regarding same-sex marriage. ::)

11. old_tony

Please point out those passages in The Constitution.

I'll wait here.

12. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Yeah, those were the days... when you could just beat the shit out of anyone who pissed you off.

Give me a fucking break.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.