1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana student sues over school graduation prayer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Junkie is right, except about the ass-beatings. Kid will rightfully be the object of plenty of scorn, but he's safe in our increasingly pussified society.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

From the story: "If I lived in a Muslim nation, a Hindu nation or anything else, I would expect to go along with the majority," Rutherford said. "He's trying to go with minority rule. To me, that's wrong in a democracy, one that was founded on Christian principles."

Yeah, the same Christian principles that said that half the population had to be submissive and could not vote, that members of the population with darker skin should be slaves and that the original members of the population should be forced off their land or killed. Yep, gotta love those Christian principles.

That would be real Christian of them.

Kid doesn't want to have somebody's religion forced down his throat. If a prayer is that important to the other students, have a prayer ceremony at a local church before the graduation ceremony, which is what my town does.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Kid's actions seem pretty brave to me.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I can get why people might be upset with the kid for -- gasp -- applying his knowledge. What I don't get, seriously, the wish for violence to be rained upon him. I mean, if it's Christianity or get your ass beat, I think that argument that "hurts no one" is lost.

Also, poin, to you point about the school spending money to defend it -- especially in this day and age of tight budgets, the school would be incredibly irresponsible to waste money defending a lawsuit where there is such established case law at the Supreme Court level.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Brave, my ass. But I'm sure the self-absorbed adults in this kid's life will be proud of him, no matter the outcome of a controversial lawsuit they forced him to be the center of for their own gratifcation.

6. Point of Order

Kid stood up for the Rule of Law and for that he gets anonymous message boarders hoping (praying?) for him to get his ass kicked. I'm sure it's the least of the intimidation and threats he has and will face from thugs who disagree with him.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

As we have seen so many times before, school administrators aren't beacons of good judgment.

So, bottom line, who are the bagholders in this pissing contest? The tax payers. And ultimately, the students.

Bra-vo.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

To use your metaphor, what the school is doing is the equivalent of crashing the car into the kid while speeding.

Speeding in itself isn't harming anyone. But get into an accident, then it is.

9. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Adults have to read and hear a lot of things they don't like or agree with. He doesn't want to pray? Great. Don't.

10. Point of Order

This controversy is ripe for Sarah Palin to weigh in.

11. Point of Order

It don't work like that. The kid isn't responsible for the adults' incompetence.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

This is America. No one's responsible for anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.