1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana Hoosier football Shock/Joy/Possible Disappointment thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

The Hoosiers will gladly take the AnyCrappyBowl.com bid.

All the faithful have yeared for is one bowl bid about every four years.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm not really an IU fan at all (if its possible, I'm not a big fan of athletics, but I'm a big fan of IU academically, based on how they handed our situation with the fatal disease that claimed two of our unborn children a few years ago), but it's nice to see the Hoosiers bowl eligible.

I can't even be upset they clinched it against Ball State and kept the Cardinals from being bowl eligible.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

And . . . . a win against Purdue next week puts the Hoosiers in eighth place, at best. Northwestern has the tiebreaker, and every other Big Ten school other than Purdue has at least four wins. Eighth would still lend some hope, as other conferences may not have enough bowl teams.

A loss to Purdue means ninth place, and likely the end.

:'( :'( :'( ::) ::) :-X :-X

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Piotr, I think it will shake out OK. Some conference is going to get poached an extra BCS team, so that should open some other doors through trickle down.

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

There will no doubt be one conference that can't fill its bowl obligations.

Hoosiers will fit in there (Armed Forces Bowl, perhaps?).

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Maybe one non-BCS conference team gets a bid.

That means three BCS conferences will lose a team to the bigger bowls.

Think it well could turn out OK for IU, obviously that's not a given.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Just found this thread, don't know how I missed it. I'm another IU grad and longtime football pessimist. After that massive f*ckup at NWestern, I expect the Hoosiers to get smoked by Purdue and lose any hope at a bowl. Who would possibly want 6-6 Indiana? This isn't Iowa or other middle-of-the-road B10 football schools which have a pretty good track record of selling tickets to crappy bowls.

What a disappointment. It was all there for IU to have a good year this year-- favorable schedule (no OSU/Mich), down year for the conference and the hook of "play 13" in honor of Hoeppner. Looks like back to the drawing board, and I'm guessing that starts by letting Lynch go.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Who's going to want Northwestern? They don't travel well, and this team is a defensive abomination, talentwise. Schemes mask some of the deficiencies, but they lost to Duke, for heaven's sake.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Big Ten has, what, seven bowl tie-ins? A BCS bowl and six non-BCS bowls. If Purdue beats IU and N'western loses to Illinois, that would leave IU and N'western firmly outside the top 7. And OSU beating Michigan would hurt all the bottom-feeders, since Michigan would lose any argument at becoming a second BCS-worthy Big 10 team.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You get it. To get an at-large bid, NU or IU would need seven wins.

'Course, the likes of this year's Iowa team going to a bowl is almost as big a joke as NU or IU would be.

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Indiana, sporting the throwback uniforms on Senior Day, leading Purdue 17-3 in the third.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Check out the highlight show tonight for an interception by IU that was touched by 4 players before a DB finally got it.

Most amazing pick I've seen in a long, long time.

Draft saved Draft deleted