1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana beat writer, The Herald-Times (Bloomington, Ind.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Chris_Korman, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Dear God, folks. They said the applications were due by Friday. They're probably taking the weekend off and will start moving forward on Monday.

It's like the sky is falling. On 12:01 a.m. Saturday, the people who have applied haven't heard anything. You try making that decision.

2. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Sorry. There's no way you're going to get this job. Korman told me last night in our "Important People" Meeting.

3. Putt4dough

Putt4dough New Member

Any pipeline news on this job?

4. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Any idea what it pays?

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

How can you forget Steve Alford?!?!?! Oh, the horror!!

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I talked to a former SE at a paper smaller than Bloomington (and not in a major university town) who said he got around 150 applicants for a recent opening. But, as he astutely pointed out, less than half were really serious candidates in terms of experience and whatnot.

In this day and age, it seems quite common for some people --- especially younger people --- to apply for every single job they see, regardless of experience level, location, salary or anything else. I'm sure plenty of job-seeking gurus would say that's the way to go, but it does inflate the numbers a bit.

Still, I have no doubt that they will have more than enough qualified candidates to pick from and will get someone who will do a great job. For someone who loves college football and basketball, would be a terrific gig.

7. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Check back on page 3. Alford was among the second group of players I mentioned.

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Larry Bird didn't go to IU. He was a Sycamore. NO JOB FOR YOU!!!!! :)

RB

9. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

He also named Luke Recker and Lawrence Funderburke, better known for playing at Iowa and Ohio State. However, all three, Bird included, orginally attended Indiana before transferring.

As for those wondering why they only got a reply from the HR person and not the sports editor, my guess is because you sent your applications only to the HR person as requested and had no contact with Mr. Korman. Don't take it too personally.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Larry Bird started at Indiana, lasted a semester and left.
    The rest is history.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

How 'bout we talk about the job when there's something to talk about, huh? Is it too much to ask (again)?

12. BigOleSportsFan

BigOleSportsFan New Member

It would be much appreciated if Mr. Korman (or someone else in the know) could let us know who eventually gets this gig so the rest of us can gauge the marketplace going forward. Thanks in advance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.