1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Independents, please speak up

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ADifferentOkie, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Are you still undecided? Leaning one way or the other? Rooting for Clinton over Obama or vice-versa?

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Isn't that just Rutgers Junior?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Buck's self-description pretty much fits me. I typically vote on the liberal side, but voted in the GOP primary this year. The way things are going now I'd probably vote this way:

1. Obama
    2. McCain
    3. Clinton

Not a fan of HRC, though I was a big fan of her husband.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I consider myself a libertarian and have even voted for Libertarian candidates.

Instead of voting for either Kerry or Bush, I voted for the Libertarian presidential nominee (and can't remember who he was). I didn't think either one was deserving of a vote, so I voted third-party as a protest.

Obama vs. McCain, I'm voting Obama. For one, he's a lot closer to my age and I think it's time the Baby Boomers handed over the keys to the nation. Also, while people on here have been talking about how Obama focuses on hope without ever giving any specifics (Hi JayFarrar!) I've actually been doing some research about his plans. I think they're logical and could work. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, oh well.

Clinton vs. McCain, I'm voting McCain. Consider it a protest vote against the Bush, Clinton, Clinton, Bush, Bush cycle of elections. Twenty years is too long for two families to control the White House.

5. Off the top of my head, wasn't Browne the libertarian candidate?
    It is looking more and more like the independents, at least on this board, are going Obama>McCain>Clinton.
    I guess as a Democrat, I'm rooting for Obama more and more (I like both anyway).

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Check my last post in Sports and News for why I don't blindly follow a party -- any party -- even the one I'm registered with.

But here's a quick recap: I've seen too many crooks on both sides and too many good people on both sides.

I'm firmly in the undecided camp. None of the candidates excite me.

7. Out of curiosity, what doesn't excite you about Obama? His lack of overall experience or foreign-policy experience?

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I was hoping this thread was about those of us who still work for single-owner shops instead of chains.

Nope. I was wrong. It's....
    YET ANOTHER POLITICAL THREAD!

Can we please move these into a folder of their own???

9. If you don't want to read the political threads, then don't.
    I wouldn't have a problem with the creation of a political forum, but nobody is making you read anything.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If you don't like them, don't read them. It's an election year. People are, shockingly enough, going to want to talk about politics a lot.

No need to shit all over them, esp. one that has been civil and prompted good discussion.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Every other thread on SportsJournalists.com is a political thread. I doubt a political message board talks this much about sports/newspapers and the such.

I'm in no way against political threads. I enjoy a political discussion as much as the next guy (well, maybe not the next guy here). I'd jsut like them (or the ones that are started as such) to be put in a folder of their own. I think this is a reasonable request.

12. How dare we talk about something other than sports. In a fucking election year. ::)

For me, I'm independent, mainly because the political parties infuriate me so much I cannot claim allegiance to either.

I lean toward the Dems on most issues, so that's usually how I vote.

This year?

Meh.

Draft saved Draft deleted