1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Incredible story about Bobby Orr

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HorseWhipped, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

BS.

Nice detail I had not heard.

And, in 1972, living in a Boston suburb, I had a Bobby Orr placemat.

2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Wow. Someone's touchy about pubes. Seemed to me a damn good anecdote about how pervasive Orr's influence was in Boston/New England. People who didn't give a rat's ass about hockey were captivated by him.

3. bob

bob Member

that story brought back a lot of memories of growing up a hockey fan in Boston. anyone who says Gretzky is the greatest never saw Orr play.

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

you are completely wrong on that
    as previous poster said, its detail that adds to the profile

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yes - great story. Made me think that Bobby Orr is really one of the great under appreciated athletes of our time.

He was the Babe Ruth of the NHL.

If he was playing now the NHL would be a major tv sport.

Can't think of a more dominant pro athlete.

6. Seems like a lot of their back-of-the-book stuff these days are book excerpts.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Brought back fond memories of visits to The combat zone.

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I could not disagree more. It speaks to the impact of Orr on the non-hockey world.

9. Felt like this quote in the Price interview deserved a follow-up:

"Some people at the Herald didn’t like it much that I was hired in the first place."

Anyone know why?

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Wanna puck?

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Boston suburb story would work a lot better if you had shaved your pubes (no pun intended) in 1972 and called your handiwork an Esposito.

And Smasher, I disagree with you. Gratuitous in a newspaper story maybe, but for a colorful magazine feature, I thought it fit nicely.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Anyone who liked this should pick up Stephen Brunt's Searching For Bobby Orr.

I see Bobby a couple of times a year since he represents some guys on the team I work for. incredibly humble guy, he never fails to introduce himself to me as if this 43-year-old Canuckistani doesn't know who he is.

Draft saved Draft deleted