1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Incredible Jeopardy champion

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, May 28, 2008.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I dont know man, she's pretty damn good. I think she's yet to miss a final jeopardy, she's shown great range and the willingness to bet a ton. I'd be scared to hell to play her.

Then again, I only made it to the audition stage of college jeopardy. Damn you UCSD girl.

2. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Well, more appropriately - damn you, influx of Shakespeare questions.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's all in the catagories.

Give me two boards with two columns each that I can run, with at least one daily double in there, and . . .

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Our categories for the first round:

CIVIL SERVANTS
    STAMPS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
    MOTHERS AND SONS
    BEER
    BAR TRIVIA
    and CELIBACY

5. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

It's a little bit more than that. Running a category has nothing to do with knowledge., it has to do with timing. I'm sure there have been brilliant people who lost because they couldn't nail down that damn buzzer. When I did the practice round at my audition, I beat the other two kids handily, only because I had the timing down. They were both smarter than me - way, WAY smarter than me - but I killed them.

This new woman is not just very smart -loam/ what the hell is loam? - but on point when it matters.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Understood. An educated thumb is a must.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Being a philatelist in an earlier life, that wouldn't be bad . . . and categories 3/4/5 ooze potential. Don't quite know where they were going with the 6th. Would
    love to hear some of those answers.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

That's from the "Cheers" episode when Cliff was on Jeopardy.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ya got me there. I'm not a Cheers devotee. But I understand the convergence.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Absolutely right... to a point.

The buzzer is an elusive mistress and one that absolutely has to be mastered if you're not going to go one-and-done. The first game I won, I had the rhythm down and ran over my opponents.

I started the second game the same way, then that 23-year-old MIT engineer stole two sports questions from me and just like that, the rhythm was gone. He was getting in just ahead of me, which was one of two reasons I couldn't defend.

This is where I partially digress with you, GB. The categories DO matter.

The first of two examples came at the end of the first game, when I'm trying to nurse a lead with "Foreign Cinema" and "Math" as the last two categories. I got one of the foreign cinema questions right and got beat on the buzzer on one more, but I didn't even bother putting my thumb on the buzzer on the math questions.

Had it not been for a ball-buster Final Jeopardy question and the lead I built up, I may not have won.

The second example came in Game 2. Rita Schwab-Parcel, the fiftysomething "Fargo" extra as I call her (she was from South Dakota) got a slew of categories in her wheelhouse on Double Jeopardy and entered Final Jeopardy ahead of both me and the MIT kid -- Chris Possinger.

Then, she gets "Hollywood Scandals" in Final Jeopardy, which was to her as "Masters Champions", "U.S. Presidents" or "Great SportsJournalists.com Posters" would be to me.

At the same time, you couldn't pick a worse category for a 23-year-old geek than that, which is why Possinger crashed and burned.

The next day, she got a pretty easy question in "U.S. Elections" in Final Jeopardy and went down in flames.

This is why people like Jennings, Rutter and Haines are so fearsome: they combine a metronomic mastery of the buzzer with no apparent gaps in knowledge.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Posting from my phone, or else I'd dig up the Jeopardy board I originally posted when bird was on. (Little help, someone?) Can't even remember the categories, but they were all SportsJournalists.com specific.

Another thing about creepy Larissa -- I challenge you to count the blinks when they do closeups.

She gives me the willies.

And, birdscribe would SO KICK HER ASS.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

The champ found herself in an early hole tonight, letting the one guy get out to a $3,200 lead before she even got on the board.

Draft saved Draft deleted