1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inception

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Jul 13, 2010.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Best movie I've seen in ages.

Very very intricate. Can't wait to see it again because frankly it's tough as hell to follow but man is it a great ride!

Nolan is hands down the No. 1 director working at the moment.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I really want to see this and agree with you about Nolan's current spot among directors. But the review I just saw, from David Edelstein in New York Magazine, hated it. And I think Edelstein's one of the best critics around, not that I always agree with him (and I think he didn't really like The Dark Knight; maybe he's not a big Nolan guy). Of course, Edelstein's been ripped for the review, by commenters and other critics. One person even compared him to, shudder, Armond White.

http://nymag.com/movies/reviews/67155/

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/the_big_picture/2010/07/chris-nolans-inception-gets-its-first-critical-sucker-punch.html

3. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Can't wait to see this.

4. billikens

billikens Member

Saw this for the second time last night. Fantastic.

Going in, I kind of wanted to dislike it. There was so much praise, to me it almost seemed like movie snobbery. But even with a negative sentiment going in, I was blown away. Fantastic movie.

And I enjoyed it just as much on the second viewing.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

THIS is why you go to the movies.

You'll see references to The Matrix (of course), Citizen Kane, Raiders,
    and even the Wizard of Oz and The Godfather.

Doesn't insult your intelligence. Keeps you dead-focused. Absolute thrill ride.

Anybody who doesn't like this has a sheer hardon for Nolan, and can't be
    taken seriously.

Three thumbs up.

6. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

cam version is a little blurry nova mov is better http://www.alluc.org/movies/watch-inception-2010-online/195396.html

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Dig, but you want to see this in a theatre with the full Dolby blast working.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yup, saw it on opening night and absolutely loved it. I'm almost sure I'll see it again soon.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't think it's very good and I have a pretty decent idea why, but it's hard to summarize simply without using the phrase "it's all a little ridiculous."

I'll give Nolan this much credit: A weakness of his involves creating narrative gaps that are hard to bridge later in the story, but he provides himself an out here. But in doing that, a viewer can only arrive at a single conclusion by movie's end.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Can we toss out spoilers on this thread? Overall, I thought the movie was excellent and loved it, but I do have a couple of minor issues with it I'd love to toss out for discussion. Any objections? No? Okay.

SPOILER ALERT!

SPOILER ALERT!

SERIOUSLY. EXIT NOW IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE!

First, the whole premise underlying the movie, that a rival corporateer needed to plant the inception in order to prevent world domination by his competitor is beyond ridiculous. It's almost as laughable a premise as Avatar. It seems like they could have come up with a more plausible basis for them basically risking their lives and sanity. Luckily, this was only mentioned once and was completely forgettable throughout most of the movie.

Second, maybe I just have to see it again, but I never was completely clear on how the whole architect/subject/level design thing actually worked. I mean, did Ellen Page just have to have the levels present in her mind when she went under the first time in order to effectuate them? How did she keep 3 levels distinct from one another in her mind? Were there actual physical models that were in place? It would have made more sense if she'd had to design Level 2 while she was dreaming in Level 1, and so on.

Finally, after the Inception guy died in Level 3 who was the architect in the next level. They had't planned for any of that, so who's dream were they in?

That's all I can think of for now. I definitely want to see it again to see if I can resolve some of my questions and then figure out what else I didn't understand. Like I said, excellent movie overall -- probably the best in-theater experience I've had since No Country for Old Men, but I find it hard to root for these sci-fi type movies for awards when I feel like there is some internal paradoxy.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Every single frame is a dream. Don's dream (as he says to Ariadne [Ellen Page]: You know you're in a dream because it just starts--you have no idea how you got there. Well, the movie just starts, too -- on the beach). That's why the whole "plant a corporate secret" doesn't really matter. His wife's in his dream, too -- until she kills herself, which took her out of the dream (and out of the movie). But she's also portrayed by Saito (that's why he has HER talisman, and that's why he says to Don at the end, "you said we'd grow old together.")

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

gtfo. you just blew my mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted