1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inappropriate tipping (?)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Vombatus, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have tipped for maid service before, but only for really long stays.
    I should tip for maid service. I feel bad that I have not done it more often.

Of course, I was also a small-time newspaper reporter and editor for 15 years. I was broke all the time and just lucky to scrape together money for a trip now and then.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

And you can never over-tip a bartender, no matter how broke you are.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Always leave a few dollars maid service at a hotel, every morning except checkout

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  4. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Also, if you have more than one person paying...go inside. Don't use the drive-thru

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Oh my God, yes. There's a special place in hell for the people with 4 different orders, all being paid separately, at the drive-thru.

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I just knew this thread was gonna be asking if it's ok to put dimes in a stripper's g-string.

Vombatus likes this.
  7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Never go to clubs where they have to wear gstrings

Vombatus and Huggy like this.
  8. Key

Key Well-Known Member

If it's a restaurant where people normally sit down and are served, then you should probably give a few bucks to the take out lady. I don't tip at normal take-out places - Chinese, pizza, etc.

I'll leave a buck or two per night for the maid when I think about it. I usually forget, though.

Also, $5 on a $20 haircut.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

My barber owns his one-man shop and I tip him $2-$3 on an $11 cut, but feel weird about it because I'm basically paying over the listed price. On the other hand, I've been going to him for probably 20 years and his $11 is the cheapest good haircut around.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

$5 per day for hotel maids.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

A haircut where I go runs $12, so I'd ordinarily tip up to $15. But, they give teachers/professors a $2 discount. So I tip up to $15. Hey, hey, big spender!

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

A little, in a Geisha sort of way, until she looked at me like I was some sort of pervert.

Draft saved Draft deleted