1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In need of a fun place to go

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by grrlhack, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The happiest place on Earth. Tijuana!

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

South of the Border. Down Mexico Way.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

hey, who has better vacation ideas than aaa?
    according to the publisher of this aaa guidebook, no one

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Isn't there some sort of World's Fair in Knoxville?

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Try http://www.site59.com/.  They've got last-minute packages for air/hotel and air/hotel/car.  If you're traveling alone, there's a single supplement charge (raises the overall price), but I'm told you can find reasonable last minute deals on there.  Full disclosure: I've never used the sites, but I've read good things about it in a lot of travel magazines/articles.

6. HoopsMcCann

wait! how about a fair?  not just a county fair, not just a europe fair, but a world's fair -- the world's fair in knoxville, tennessee.

keep reading.

the hungarians have built a giant motorized rubik's cube, and the fair's symbol is the sunsphere, which sits atop a 266-foot tall steel shaft.

what's inside?

an information desk.

cooool!

7. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

Hoops,
    That sounds infinitely better than a Gnats doubleheader. That is easily one of the worst stadiums in the world. And you know the ones I've been to. Damn!

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You've got to be there!
    The 1982 World's Fair!

9. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

I was there. My family was in Knoxville for other reasons and we stopped by for a few hours. Other than the sunsphere, I have no recollection of anything I saw there.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Welcome to the 21st century, oh Mr. Time Traveler.

Oh, and when you go back to 1982 don't forget to check out Cannonball Run II. It will be out in a couple years. Oh, and bet it all on Houston to be that whiny Valvano and N.C. State

11. HoopsMcCann

i love grayson stadium... sure, it's a dump, but it's a south atlantic league stadium. how good does it need to be? plus there's thirsty thursday -- 2 for 1 beers. how can you beat that?

12. prhack

prhack Member

One of the greatest Simpson's episodes ever.

"Don't be the boy; don't be the boy, D'oh!" ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted