1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In need of a fun place to go

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by grrlhack, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Charleston, Asheville, Savannah, Mobile even.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The part I was in was screwball. No gas stations or convenience stores along the interstate. Ended up driving for miles to take a dump. The extras from "Fargo" were probably looking on.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

If you like hiking, Asheville would be a good place. I went up there with some friends a few summers ago and had a blast. We hiked some, did some whitewater rafting and drank a few gallons of beer. That might be a long drive for you, though.

Charleston is one of my favorite places in the country, but I'd bet it will be a madhouse this weekend.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

I hadn't been in Bermuda 24 hours and I was in surgery for destroying my arm in a scooter accident.

5. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Agreed on Key West - not a bad idea to go right now. If you've got a bug for Europe, you could always head up to Quebec City.

6. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

I have more than 2 days. I was just thinking in terms of a quickie (of any kind ;) )
    Like I said, Chicago is the leader in the clubhouse right now.

Passy: I'd come over there, but your wife would dump my ass off your lap really damn quick!

7. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

7 out of 8 wouldn't be bad...and you DO need a prenup BEFORE the marriage. Just ask Paul. LOL Vegas would be a wonderful trip as well. I have a friend there, as well as one in Chicago. Asheville sounds fun too. I've been to Savannah a bunch, but I have a friend there too.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Difficult? Yes. But it's not impossible to get into the game.

But here's the trick: either call the ticket office at 9 a.m. on game day for just-released seats (if you want to spend the cash), or pay $10 for standing room only tickets. They only sell those on game day, and if you don't mind standing for the first three innings it's a great, cheap way to get into the game. Then take an empty seat after a little while and you're all set.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

head on down to Dumas Walker - be sure to get the slaw , burger and fries with a bottle of ski.

10. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

Been there, done that....

11. pallister

pallister Guest

:D

Seriously, Chicago and Key West are the two places I visit the most, so you can't go wrong with either one, even if you do go to that tourist trap Sloppy Joe's. If you do go to the Keys, check out some of the bars off Duval Street, especially the Green Parrot. More character, characters and fewer college kids and amateurs to get in your way. If you're in Chicago, eat as much pizza (thin crust, not deep dish) as possible. And if you get a Chicago hot dog, don't go to Superdawg (way overrated).

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

To wit -- for fantastic hotdogs, you can't go wrong with either Portillo's, Fluky's or Gene's and Jude's.

Can't really recommend a pizza place, my favorite is in the 'burbs.

Draft saved Draft deleted