1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In-house criticism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hustle, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Two weeks ago, I got a scathing e-mail from someone in our circ department; he's a fan of the local NFL squad and felt that my bearish column (borrowing an economic phrase) on said squad was B.S. So I got the whole nine from this guy - how could I say what I said, did I watch the same game, how could I be so negative about their offense which put up big numbers (which neglected the fact they had a couple of big plays and were garbage inside the 20), how everybody was laughing at me and he was too, how I pulled the same stuff last year and it's starting all over again.

Best yet, it was unsigned, sent from a personal e-mail account. I know who it was because I'd had more rational discussions with this same person last year; he always CC'd the same group of people and he did so on the last one. Plus I asked one of those people. I just did what I'd do if the e-mail came from someone I didn't know - I ignored it.

So today there's a new batch of e-mails waiting, all CC'd to the same people, plus a few new folks and our SE. He wants to know where my negative column was (we don't travel), guesses about possible topics I would've written about, then surmises that I'm saving all my ammo because this team plays my once-favorite team next week. More goodness: He can't wait to see what I have in next Monday's paper (again, ignoring the fact that we don't travel and this too will be an away game), why I can't be more supportive, how his grandparents cancelled their subscription because of it. I am happy to note that my SE was kind enough to write back that, essentially, he is in no position to question my credibility and that an immediate apology is necessary. He did later apologize.

But the e-mails are getting tiresome. I fully expect that from the public; I'm happy to respond to any complaints, so long as they're rational and not insulting. Clearly, this is not the case, and it does grate me more than usual coming from someone working at the same place. Am I just better off deleting them as soon as they arrive? Anyone have a better idea?

And, having a feeling what's coming, you should know I won't be upper-decking him.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would respond saying thanks for reading (and in the future any complaint year hear from the public or from neighbors or people accidentally calling sports about circulation problems I would send directly to him.)

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Go to circ and talk to him. And his boss.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Huss, it sounds like the circ dude is a unabashed fanboi. Nothing short of writing "The Local 47 Is Going To Win The Super Bowl" is going to appease that idiot. So the only thing you can do is delete the e-mails.

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

don't waste your time with a response. it'll get you nowhere

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yup... and if you don't get the paper the right way, 4 a.m. is an excellent time to call him at home...

7. Have your boss upper deck him.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

If you've talked about it once or more than once, I have to fall on the side of "hit the delete key."

You can't win by continuing a dialogue where neither party is going to budge.

9. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

That would be awesome.

10. awriter

awriter Active Member

He's a fanboi, but he's also an employee who's ripping Hustle in an e-mail to his boss. It's inappropriate behavior. Hustle has good reason to be pissed.

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Email him back and tell him instead of worrying about your job, he should be figuring out ways to keep your circulation from dropping so you all have jobs next year.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I tried that once with an ad sales guy. Didn't work too well.

Explain what's up to your SE and let him talk with the guy's boss. Otherwise it will deteriorate into a bad situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted