1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In honor of Signing Day, a proposed new NCAA rule:

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

A-fucking-men. I used to have people get so pissed at me when I wouldn't refer to a kid as committed to Podunk State before he signed an NLI. Or when I wouldn't preface the player's every mention with "No. 536 on the Rivals.com list of junior punters living west of the Mississippi (California excluded)" or whatever.

Hell, the definition of a "recruit" is so broad, plus I never take the word of a kid or parent that they meet that definition, so I hate to use that term.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Not to bash sports writers as a whole, because I've certainly been duped into believing something that didn't pan out, but how many writers found out today that some kid receiving "interest" from a big school ended up to be complete garbage.
    Can't tell you how many times I was told a BCS team was "looking" at a kid only to find out later that meant the kid went to some summer camp where the coaches were or whatever.

3. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I understand all this, but I think people need to remember it depends on your audience and your medium.

That's all fine and good for newspapers to not cover verbal commitments or label kids as "Connecticut-bound" until they sign a NLOI, but for some of those folks who work with other media -- or who have a beat/topic where once the kid signs, it's old news -- it's the way of life. It's the job.

In some circles, once Sammy Smith decides he's going to LSU, no one cares when he signs the NLOI unless he doesn't for some reason. And, in that case, it likely warrants a story in recruiting-focused media and in MSM.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Here's the story that threw me over the edge. It's been probably 7, 8 years now.

Signing Day is also the day of a home game at VT. I'm going to get up about 10, drive over, crash a couple of hours in the hotel, go talk to Beamer about his recruiting class, write it, cover game, write it, head to bed. Just another day in the life.
    Hold that thought.

We have a local kid, a pretty good quarterback, "commit" fairly early to Tech. Then Zook goes to Florida (that's how long ago it was) and one of his assistants, who recruited the kid somewhere else, calls. Come visit. So kid goes. He's upfront about it. Doubts anything will change his mind. But Florida is a new thing on the scene and he owes it to himself to go look. He goes and looks the weekend before signing day.

Sunday, he gets home. Calls me. Enjoyed the visit. Still going to Tech. So now I've written THREE stories on this kid before signing day. Commit, new visit, still committed.

Wednesday comes. He signs with Florida. Doesn't call me. I have to chase him down. I get a long story posted online, jump in the car and break countless laws speeding the 240 miles to Tech. I rush in to Frank's chat with us press types and now have to write two stories before the game: One on the actual class and one on the reaction to the stiffing by the local QB. Who later transferred to another school and became a linebacker.

I hate everything about recruiting coverage.

I did feel like a heel once as SE when I teased a local coach I knew pretty well about his signing day press conference. He had nine kids sign - five with IA's and four with IAAs. He said, "I"m sorry. I was just trying to make all these guys available to you because you have stories to do." An inch tall now, I thanked him for that and assured him I was only kidding with him. He didn't do the hat dance dog-and-pony show. Most of the decisions were already known. He had the kids there in a shirt of their college choice with their name tag and college choice in front of them. All nine of them. So THAT is a good way to handle it.

5. micke77

micke77 Member

Cadet...

The thing about these damn commitment references is that our freakin' readers go bonkers if we don't keep tabs or run these lists constantly as National Signing Day approaches. I tell them, "commitments right now don't mean much. they can change at the drop of an official's flag." we ran a list of commitments for the D-I school we cover, oh, two weeks ago. the word was that save for one or two, the entire list was strong and that all would sign with said school. nope, didn't happen. maybe half. as you noted, until they sign on the dotted line, the commitment hype is so many times worthless.
    but as we also all know, the recruiting "gurus" and wannabe coaches/sportswriters drool over this stuff getting out there.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

We had a guy call us infrequently over the past two months asking if anyone had committed to Big State U. that day. Same guy, every time.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I was reading about the kid that turned on LSU for Auburn at the last second.

Does he not realize he will have to play LSU multiple times?

If I was the LSU coach, I would gameplan creative plays to take his ass out.

If he wound up being a DB, I would power sweep his side nonstop. If he was a linebacker, I would crackback him 25 times. If he was a WR, I would lay the safeties deep the entire game and have them tee off every time he caught the ball across the middle.

8. highlander

highlander Member

Went to cover Jesse Armstead's signing many moons ago. Rumor was he might change from Miami to another school and someone had to be there just in case. Before the big show, I found my best note of the event. Armstead's mail man was there. He said he was glad this thing was finally over because of all the extra mail he'd been lugging to Armstead's house each day.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Agreed.

I've said it many times before ... at some point, a newspaper is going to be involved in an NCAA investigation due to the actions of recruiting writers. There are some honorable ones out there. But many are de facto recruiters for whatever school is in their area.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Frankly, I wish some fans would just get a life. You don't see people frothing at the mouth over the drummer deciding which college band he's going to join. Yet, you have grown adults tracking where 9th graders are looking to play basketball in college.

11. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

When the parents stop grooming their elementary-aged brood to be the next big star, that'll be a fair request.

12. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted