1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In honor of Chef, another self-surgery thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, May 1, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever removed their own stitches?
    I have two in a cut on my finger that come out tomorrow. The nurse at the hospital said since it was only two, I could do it myself and save a couple hundred bucks on a doctor's visit. She even sent me home with a stitch-cutter (looks kind of like an Exacto knife) and gave me a quick how-to. Looked up some stuff online tonight, and there's enough sites offering instruction that it doesn't seem too difficult. I'm still a little nervous though, and could use some advice if anyone has ever tried it before.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's not difficult. Though it does feel odd when you pull them out.

Pulling your own staples, however, is a trip.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

Aahh; Leave it to ol' Chef to educate the young Sparky;

I've had stitches a bunch, and not one damn time have I ever returned to the doc to have them taken out.

I take that back; One time; My balls after a vasectomy; 2 stitches in each nut he had to remove, but the other dozens of stitches.......no sir.

Don't just grab them and rip them out; That would smart a bit. And for Christ's Sake, it's 2 stitches; just each stitch in the middle, which should release them, then gently pull them out.

2 stitches.

I wasn't aware Batman had a vagina.

I kid, I kid!

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You'll find plenty of websites devoted to removing your own stitches, believe it or not!

5. snuffy2

snuffy2 Member

I have never pulled stitches out but I did try to put them in. I built a shed-addition for the lawn mowers and having trashpicked some old shower doors, incorporated them into skylights which served well until a few years later, the (inevitable) roof leak repair process involved me poking my knee into breaking skylight glass sharply disrupting some good football games on the extension cord radio. I had been drinking prior to the repair. It was a Sunday afternoon and I guess beercan logic convinced me that the Hospitals would be closed so I took to needle and thread. I can attest that common household thread will not 'pull' through knee flesh. Blood sobered me enough to brave the public disgrace and I called my girlfriend to transport me to the hospital.

6. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Chef isn't even kind enough to recommend the Hot Damn anesthetic?

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Floss works better.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

8-pound test diameter FireLine is even mo' better. Spiderwire probably would work, too.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wimp.
    As I've said here before, I used to golf with a doctor who gave himself his own vasectomy because he's theonly doc he trusted around there.
    He did the cutting and stitching and his wife held the mirror....

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

Touche'

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Chef, since you're on this thread, how about an update on the toe?

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Don't you go spreading that goodness around. I still eat while skimming the pages.

Draft saved Draft deleted