1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In Fenian's absence ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chi City 81, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I thought I'd post this item that just came across the wire. Have at it, folks.

Senate: Saddam Saw al-Qaida As Threat

WASHINGTON (AP) _ Saddam Hussein regarded al-Qaida as a threat rather than a possible ally, a Senate report says, contradicting assertions President Bush has used to build support for the war in Iraq. Released Friday, the report discloses for the first time an October 2005 CIA assessment that before the war, Saddam's government "did not have a relationship, harbor or turn a blind eye toward" al-Qaida operative Abu Musab al-Zarqawi or his associates.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Why am I not stunned?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bull.

Why would those fanatically religious Al Qaida kooks be a threat to the secular rule of Saddam Hussein?

Pshaw, I say.

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Just a bunch of liberals making stuff up. Everyone knows the Democrats are in control of the Senate.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Of course, all other CIA reports on the region have been complete bullshit, but this one is 100 percent gold-plated accurate.

6. http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/003/378fmxyz.asp

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Wait, why was this moved?

It's about an AP News Alert -- that doesn't belong in news?

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Confusing, eh Doc?

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yes, it is.

Did I miss a fucking meeting?

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Ignoring the fact that this comes from a place that is little more than a GOP PR publication, much of the information spelled out has been disproven of demonstrated to be false.

If the information was accurate, Iraq would have been working on developing a nuclear warhead instead of telling AQ Kahn to get bent.

The mere fact that this paragraph exists in the "article" linked demonstrates its falsehood:
    All of the "bullet points" are old information that has since been demonstrated to be post-filtering propaganda.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why is the Weekly Standard divulging the contents of TOP SECRET U.S. government memorandum?

Lyman, I'm sure you join me in a call to find and arrest the leaker of said memo.

Oh, and Donald Rumsfeld and Saddam Hussein had an "operational relationship," too. For what that's worth.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yeah, Doc, we took a vote.
    You're out.

Draft saved Draft deleted