1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In Fab Five 30 for 30, Jalen Rose said Coach K only recruits "Uncle Toms"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Mar 8, 2011.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Their 6th man, Rob Pelinka, became quite an agent.

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

He still is Obama's personal aide. Pretty cool gig.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Really looking forward to this, hope it's available quickly in Canada.

Anyone who questions their impact couldn't have been much of a sports fan back in 1992 or 93. The Big Ten was loaded during their freshman season, with both Ohio State and Indiana spending most of the season ranked in the Top 5. After creating some buzz with a home-court OT loss to Duke -- although Jake Voskuhl and Rob Pelinka still started back then -- people really started noticing when they beat the Hoosiers late in the season. Where it really caught fire was an overtime victory over the Buckeyes to reach the Final Four.

College basketball was still huge back then, and as Dick Whitman wrote, that kind of success with five freshmen was unprecedented. Duke was there with a defending National Champion, and they really weren't the storyline. It was Mike Krzyzewski vs Bob Knight in one semi and the Fab Five in the other. (Cincinnati was a total afterthought, which probably made Bob Huggins even crankier than normal.)

That second season was completely crazy. I went to school about 2 hours from Ann Arbour and went to a couple of games. Those guys were rock stars. I haven't seen too many teams like that. Webber and Rose weren't Jordanesque in their influence, but pretty close at the college level.

Even in 1994 -- after Webber left -- they made the Elite Eight before losing to Arkansas. That's when Rose and Howard departed. So, for three straight years, they were beaten by the champion.

The other thing that people forget is, players are really protected in school. The warts weren't seen until the pros, especially back in 1993. We realized Webber and Rose had flaws. But, for two seasons, they were huge stars.

4. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

wonder what Chris Carrawell — from the streets of St. Louis, IIRC — has to say about Jalen Rose's shot?

5. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

That is impressive.
    [/quote]

Damn it! Bad typo by me. I meant 1,200 games. I fail.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Elliot - one thing that you wrote that really stood out:

"college basketball was still huge then"

How true !

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Damn it! Bad typo by me. I meant 1,200 games. I fail.
    [/quote]

Figured you were being funny. If you went by percentage of teams not far off.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Same sort of criticism leveled at John Thompson at Georgetown.
    They both recruited the kind of kids they wanted to coach, and had the ability to not only do so, but be selective. Thompson would say he had to answer to one person, Rev. Timothy Healy, President of Georgetown, and he would recruit who he wanted.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm guessing he already was one back then. Or at least a runner.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Disagree, without hostility. They were clearly self-absorbed louts ("Timeouts? No more? Wha?"), who in no human way deserved the adulation they got.

And I love college basketball, because of the effort you get. But the sideshows really irritate me.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I was talking to a fellow UNC alumnus last night about him. He saw the video of Reggie's face plant at a UNC frat party.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It is gratifying that JTIII is doing quite nicely, thanks, without the broad thuggery which so distinguished Daddy's regime.

Draft saved Draft deleted