1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In case you were wondering, Lou Piniella has apologized to Milton Bradley

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No, the title is not a typo.

Chicago Cubs manager Lou Piniella apologizes to Milton Bradley after confrontation

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/news/story?id=4291786

Thank heavens, Milton 'doesn't have a problem with Lou.'

Can't go ruffling the feathers of those oh-so-indispensable .236 hitters.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=4245

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Pinella yelled "You're not a player, you're a piece of shit" at him.

That's why he apologized. And he should.

3. Starman

Bullshit.

Why should he apologize, because he's afraid the screw-loose psychotic head-case punk will blow his cork for the 397,373rd time in his career?

How far and how many times do you have to bend over to accommodate a fucking whack job? Who, once again, is hitting .236.

4. Sp0rtScribe

Sp0rtScribe Member

OK, I never knew it was THAT bad. I agree he should have apologized under those circumstances, even though he wasn't necessarily out of line.

5. PCLoadLetter

He should apologize because it's stupid and unprofessional, and he knows it. He's not apologizing for taking him out of the game and sending him home -- he's apologizing for telling him he's a piece of shit.

Dude, your "Everybody should be shot in the face!" routine is pretty tired by now.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He'd never feel that way. He believes in leaving a few non-fatal wounds first, to stretch out the agony. ;)

7. Starman

Ohhhh, we wouldn't want to insult the dignity of the always-professional Milton Fucking Bradley, who, by the way, IS a piece of shit.

Maybe if he spent less time beating the shit out of water coolers, he'd be hitting a smidge better than .236, which is, incidentally, a very representative BA for a "piece of shit" player.

I work in a professional office, and if I smashed the shit out of a water cooler, I'd probably be told I was a piece of shit, too, and I would deserve it.

8. PCLoadLetter

So do I. And if the boss told someone they were a piece of shit so loudly everyone in the newsroom could hear it, the boss would be lucky to get out of it with just the apology.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

People constantly complain, rightfully so in many cases, that players and coaches should be treated the way the rest of us are treated in real life. Not shielded from consequence.

If I called one of my underlings a "piece of shit", the best case scenario for me would be an apology, presuming I still had a job. Doesn't matter whether it's true or not. Milton Bradley, I suspect, is probably in the who's-a-piece-of-shit conversation, but so are some of the co-workers and underlings I've had over the years. It doesn't mean I can just go primal scream therapy on them whenever I feel like it.

Moreover, the excuse that is likely to be advanced, by mouth-breathing jocks in particular, is that Piniella's comments were done in the heat of "battle" in an athletic context. Battle ... ha. I can hear the talk radio dipshits now, "Those pussies who never played a sport just don't understand! Lou was keeping it real! You've got to scream at someone every now and then."

Others complain that athletes/coaches love to pull the "I was playing a game!" lever to exempt themselves from real life consequences to their actions. It's nice to see an exception in this case.

Piniella got to eat a shit sandwich served straight to him from the real world. I'm sort of surprised, Starman, that you're pissed about that.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Piniella is just trying to teach Bradley how to play the game "the right way"

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Oh, now you did it.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Piniella didn't call Zambrano or Dempster pieces of shit when they beat the hell out of a Gatorade machine earlier this year. Dempster's infant daughter's been battling serious health problems all year, so that's his excuse, but he didn't jump on Zambrano.

I am NOT defending Bradley, rather adding context.

Piniella should not have followed him in the tunnel and called him a piece of shit. Everything else was fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted