1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In case you thought racism was dead ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Exactly, Tony.

Fifty years since the majestic "content of character" speech and five years of a (cough) "post-racial" administration, yet tribal politics is flourishing like never before. My own small protest is to never, ever check any of the demographic boxes on surveys, forms or other paperwork because, why the hell should that matter anymore?

But if some throw in the towel on dividing along racial/gender/ethnic/sexual preference lines, they lose their reason to exist.

2. Joe Williams

Fixed.

Left has to cling to the notion that Obama's heritage/racial makeup is the source of criticism. Ninety-seven percent of the Americans I know who are unhappy with his Presidency would feel exactly the same way if he were "Bob O'Brien from Shaker Heights, Ohio," if his values, tactics, behavior and results were the same.

Guy never gets elected (twice) in a racist country; right wouldn't have voted for Dem if he were the aforementioned Bob. And there are idiots/bigots on the fringes on both sides.

Five years in, it's as much a straw man to pound on race as the source of Obama criticism as it is to blame Bush for everything else.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Kool-Aid.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

More than half the criticism of Obama comes from the left, many of whom think he's not liberal enough.

What he actually is: a decent, hamstrung, center-right president. If I had to rank him at this point (which is asinine because his signature accomplishment's success or failure won't be known for at least a decade), I'd put him in the in the 18-22 range.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Jesus, you guys, it was a throwaway line. Of course racism is not dead.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Tell your dealer you need better stuff. Your hallucinations are getting really weird.

7. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

As long as there exists more than one race, there will be racism. It's just a fact of life. There's racism in every single corner of the world. Racism is not mutually exclusive to America, nor did this country invent racism.

8. Joe Williams

Nor is it a one-way street. People of all races need to knock it the hell off. No matter what charlatans it puts out of work.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

20 acres of Manhattan real estate left vacant, in order to keep Puerto Rican and other low income families out of the neighborhood:

They Kept a Lower East Side Lot Vacant for 47 Years

nyti.ms/1exejEy

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A request to to the Times for a correction is dropped:

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Said for the 45,694th time: I thank all the deities that the internet didn't exist when I was 16.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

People have always said stupid stuff. The difference now is everyone all over the world can read them, thanks to Twitter.

Draft saved Draft deleted