1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In case you thought racism was dead ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Mar 17, 2014.

1. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

No, you don't leave the court for that. Because then the story is how the kid left the court and couldn't stand up to it. I do think it would be appropriate to play Howell's next game without the Howell student section. You show up in a Howell varsity jacket and you appear to be a teenager, sorry. not welcome in this gym. Their quarterfinal is against not-exactly-lilly-white Mt. Pleasant. Frankly, they're lucky it's Mt. Pleasant. That game could have been against Saginaw High, who I'm sure would have loved to run up the score on some racist kids.

2. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Agree with Poin...maybe the N-word just doesn't bother the kid. Maybe he rolled his eyes at the ignorant racist and laughed it off. The word only has power if you give it power.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

So that gives them an excuse to post whatever they want?

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Who would have thought European soccer would have the higher moral ground over American high school sports?

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

This board reminds us on a daily basis that racism is far from dead.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That's a pretty simplistic take on what he said.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Good to see the school following up with suspensions. This is a school sponsored event, so students are under the Code of a Conduct from their home school.

If this paper really wants to see ugly America stick its head up from under the bridge, they should invite people on the side of the soon to be suspended students come forward.

We are still a long way from racism being gone in America. A long way.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"If the intended victim doesn't care, the action is acceptable."

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If the ref didn't eject the person who used that word, then he should be suspended. I've seen refs toss fans at high school games for less offensive language than that.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Howell sports columnist writes column telling local racists he is sick of them making the community look bad.

http://www.livingstondaily.com/article/20140317/SPORTS/303170001/Tim-Robinson-Students-racist-Twitter-posts-taint-Howell-ignorance

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I didn't say the action is acceptable. I said it is stupid to demand the player walk off the court in protest during a playoff game.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It's also stupid to believe that opining on a message board is aimed at actually affecting real life.

Draft saved Draft deleted