1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IN BOX (1) - JOB INQUIRY

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fishwrapper, Oct 18, 2007.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Shit, I just have an Associate's and I could write better than that by fifth grade.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

"I wrote covered sports at the [USU] newspaper for a year."

He reported on wagon races in the Old West?

3. Fuck it, he can have my job.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Sounds like this guy was using some potent potables when he wrote that... :)

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"I'll take 'Unemployment Benefits By State' for $200, Alex."

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i can't believe all you people, he probably tries really hard.

7. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Everyone's making jokes (which they should) but it's also pretty damn sad that someone with a degree in any subject from an institution of higher learning can't communicate properly via the written word.

When I was preps editor at my first paper, the boss hired someone right out of school with a degree in journalism because they were a minority and he wanted to fill a part-time opening. This "writer" could not construct a sentence properly, even to the point of not knowing that a period ended a sentence.

And to cover his ass, the boss told me it was my job to build the paper trail to fire said part-timer. He wanted to be insulated from his shitty hire.

8. Rhouston

Rhouston Member

He was probably nervous. True, the guy needs to proofread his stuff before sending it to a potential employer, but from time-to-time, everyone writes like an illiterate during times of high stress.

... Or is that just me? Shit, I picked the wrong occupation ... :'(

9. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Here's a somewhat-related threadjack that made me think about this very topic:

From the very bottom of Matthew Berry's Week 7 Fantasy Football column on ESPN.com (my bolding):

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That. Was. Awesome.

I wish Berry would have printed the full name, so I could make sure David from Phoenix never works anywhere I do.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

This is just flabbergasting.

12. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

how do we know the e-mailer isn't female.

have her send you a pic.

Draft saved Draft deleted