1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In a world without voice-overs ... RIP Don LaFontaine

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Sep 2, 2008.

1. jps

jps Active Member

... though maybe this guy can get out of the comedy clubs now ...

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

In a world where the owner of the greatest job in Hollywood sadly left us today...

Third that. Somewhere in the Great Beyond, he and John Facenda are taking turns working the PA system.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

That wasn't him, but someone with a voice close to his.

4. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Heard him on Whaddaya Know? on NPR a couple of years back. Imagine the shock of waking up one morning, age 13, and realizing you have this voice. He said the first thing he said with the voice was answering his mom's question about what to have for breakfast.

[thevoice]I'll have some Rice Krispies, please.[thevoice\]

Yes, Jon Facenda and Barry White now have basso profundo company.

5. jps

jps Active Member

and it seems he answered fan mail and even recorded people's voice mail messages at times ... makes me wish I'd have sent him a request.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

That would be the coolest thing in the world to have on your cell phone...

"In a world where Birdscribe can't take your call right now because he's either in traffic, coaching his daughter's soccer team or twisting a writer's arm to write about his client (thump, thump), one thing is clear (thump, thump)... he'll get back to you at his (thump, thump) earliest convenience.... COMING SOON TO AN EARDRUM NEAR YOU -- the BEEP."

7. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Got a kick out of the Youtube clip of that one voiceover guy doing a parody (obviously taped long before LaFontaine died): "In a world where there's no Don LaFontaine . . . there'd be a lot more money for the rest of us."

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sadly, I have a feeling Bob Sheppard may be joining them soon. He's 97 years old, and I don't think he's worked a Yankee game this year.

And RIP to LaFontaine. I always liked it in the Geico commercial when he made that little nod after he finished his lines.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I always loved this clip. I believe it was a short film introducing some awards show, featuring the best of the best in voiceover land:

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Pablo Fancisco -- I've seen him do this bit, and it's pretty amazing.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Watching DVDs with theatrical trailers from the pre-LaFontaine era is really astounding. I guess he came along in the 80s, but there is a definite difference before Don and after Don. He made people go see a lot of crappy movies. Which is the best tribute you can pay him.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

He did the 24 trailers. Just watch the youtube links I posted earlier in this thread. He might have done a few others as well. He did the voiceover for the Simpsons Movie (watch the first clip I posted)

Draft saved Draft deleted