1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Imus - "Whitlock is a Fat Creep"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

No offense, Chuck, but you seriously need to grow up.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Hey fucker.... you gotta sleep in that bed.

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I need to grow up? Mr. Racist of the Year over there is the one that needs to grow up. Yeah I'm 17, but come on now.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

No... I'm not Byron Hurt

http://www.southflorida.com/movies/sfl-hiphoppbsxfeb20,0,5728219.story?coll=sfe-movies-headlines

By Erik Eckholm
    The New York Times
    Posted February 20 2007

Byron Hurt takes pains to say that he is a fan of hip-hop. But over time, says Hurt, a filmmaker in his mid-30s, dreadlocks hanging below his shoulders, "I began to become very conflicted about the music I love."

A new documentary by Hurt, Hip Hop: Beyond Beats and Rhymes, questions the violence, degradation of women and homophobia in much of rap music.

Airing tonight as part of the PBS series Independent Lens, the documentary has been shown recently at high schools, colleges and Boys Clubs, and in other forums, as part of an unusual public campaign sponsored by the Independent Television Service, which helped finance the film.

The intended audiences include young fans, hip-hop artists and music industry executives -- black and white -- who profit from music and videos that glorify swagger and luxury, portray women as sex objects, and imply, critics say, that education and hard work are for suckers and sissies.

What concerns Hurt and many black scholars is the domination of the hip-hop market by more violent and sexually demeaning songs and videos -- an ascendancy, the critics say, that has coincided with the growth of the white audience for rap and the growing role of large corporations in marketing the music.

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Not trying to stir things up, but that's kind of the same thing I was trying to say.

Whether or not Boom is a racist I can't say because I can't confirm the accusations Chuck has made. That's between them.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

You can't talk about a specific person and apply a generalization, but you can look at a group and apply it. Each person gets to be treated as the unique person they are, but, as I heard in court today from a 42 year old black man that was robbed and beaten by 3 young black males, he can't look at strange black males anymore and not be terrified. You can apply the generalization if it is generally true, even if it's not always true.

7. I liked the column ... black KKK ... wow. I may not agree with it on all counts but it really made me think about generational and cultural differences. That's what a good columnist does ... provokes thought and conversation. Can't fault him for that.

8. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I think it can be a touchy situation to praise Whitlock's column and not be black. In some ways, it does seem if it gives some white people a way to say "told you so." Not every gang-banger or Darrent Williams-killer is representative of the black community or even most black people and music has been misogynistic long before rap. Face it, it is a different story for Whitlock or Bill Cosby or Chris Rock to criticize the black community, but when a bunch of white people sing Whitlock's praises for renouncing behavior they associate with black people, it becomes rather unseemly.

9. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Which is Whitlock's reason for writing. Another form of self-loathing. He obviously don't have any kids - if he did - he'd respect himself more.

10. There are way too many Whitlock threads going on right now ...

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If he took Brittney Spears to rehab on the way to Anna Nicole's hearing, we could consolidate a lot of threads...
    Sadly...we cant

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, you're very seventeen.

Jason, if you're looking in, hell of a pair of columns. Very well done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.