1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Imus Returns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Oct 16, 2007.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

It may have been an open secret, but it had to be official, Football.  Nothing is official unless Drudge put its out.
    Speaking of adults in the room, when do they finally drag Sharpton out of his radio booth and put a real host in there?  

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The good 'ol boys of big corporate media come to the I-Man's rescue.
    Watch him repackage himself as a right-winger, with all the shots exchanged between him and Hillary. The Republican presidential candidates will deify him as a victim of political correctness and be brawling to get on his show first. And nobody sucks up to power and corporate interests like Imus.

3. D-3 Fan

Imus won't jump the fence because of Hillary. He's a die-hard Democrat, but that won't stop him from going against her anyway. He never liked Bill. Imus is more of a Richardson/Dodd/Biden type of guy. He's real big on Richardson. Hillary, in the eyes of the I-Man, is as big of a phony as her hubby is.

Don't even count on Imus repackaging himself as a right-winger. Stern didn't repackage himself when he went to Sirius, so why expect the I-Man to change his style?

Corporate America, or yet those who supported him in the past, will quietly segue back to him.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

You cannot compare Stern’s move to Imus’. Imus’ move wasn’t by choice.

I could easily see Imus repackaging himself as much more of a right winger. There is no reason not to. He’s going to be starting on a right wing radio station and due to the nature of his departure he could try playing the victim.

5. Upper Tupper

Upper Tupper Member

Why did he ever have to leave?

With all the crap CBS TV spews, e.g., Charlie Sheen's character fucking anything that walked on his show for the past five years, something was wrong from the beginning.

6. There is no fucking chance of this.
    The Wrinkle Farm reopens!
    Howard Fineman is hip again!

7. D-3 Fan

I was not comparing their moves to different stations, Pastor. I'm referring to Stern not changing his way to cater to a different audience and whether or not Imus will change up his schtick to attract new listeners.

My assertion is that I don't think Imus will change his radio-style that much to cater to a right-wing audience. He is what WABC may have been drooling about having: someone for hard-core right-wingers to try to take their shots at, because he's an unapologetic Democrat, who loves taking shots at everyone he loathes.

Imus is one of those guys that who isn't afraid, if provoked, to go after someone and rip a new ass.

8. Yeah. Someone should start a thread on whether Imus' firing was justified or not.

9. You should die, horribly, for suggesting this.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Stern wasn’t going after a different audience, though. Stern’s audience remained the same, the location he transmitted from changed. Imus will be going after a different audience as well as those that supported him before.

Imus only went after those that didn’t suck up to him. Let us not try to turn him into some sort of iconoclastic fighter of the downtrodden. Imus routinely sucked off Rick Santorum when everyone in the country should have been shunning him.

I could easily see him embracing more of the right wing ideology by kicking off his show by going after “political correction.” In fact, you can almost bank on it.

11. I think the Man In Blue is right on the money ehre.
    I think an even better bet is that he does everything he can to defibrillate the McCain campaign.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If this is haiku, we need to work on our counting.

Draft saved Draft deleted