1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IMUS CANNED!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Apr 12, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You nailed it. He could have been on the air ranting like Michael Richards and they wouldn't have cared if advertisers were lining up to sponsor it. With a boycott in the air and enough advertisers saying, "We don't need to be associated with this," the ad dollars must not have been there. So they axed him. That's the name of the game in his business.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was hoping to see the "new direction" his show would have taken. But all you have to do is spend five minutes researching Imus to understand this wasn't a one-time thing. He committed on-air sexual harrassment of a co-worker at MSNBC that would have gotten anyone who posts here fired if they said the same thing. He says he's a good person who did a bad thing. Maybe it is the other way around.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you mean sports-talk in the NYC area, right?

4. Funny that Francesa used the phrase "lack of taste."

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There isn't such a thing as "free speech" if you're not speaking for free. It's a bogus argument.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Thanks, TBL. I just meant the board hereabouts. I can't compete with the Global Stern Media Machine. I'm only one man, after all, with a pencil and a dream. And a computer, obviously. And some other stuff.

7. JackS

JackS Member

Yeah, really. If anybody had any doubts about the propriety of booting Imus, big Mike's opposition should quash that. Now we know it was the right move.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

-- will another radio station/syndication network have the balls to pick up Imus' show?
    -- will Imus jump to satellite radio or just retire to his New Mexico ranch that was built by listener donations?
    -- Who will replace the morning slot at the 'FAN now?

9. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

CBS has to let them vent on the air. They need to let them vent, eventually get over it and move on. A gag order would only make it worse in terms of the bad feelings they have toward CBS.

On a side note, CBS will sell the radio division within a year. Not because of this specifically, it's been coming for a while.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Re: mad dog russo -- yikes!!

I wish there were a "Behind the Post" segment on BYH Classic that could examie how Fen read shockey's post, went to google images, scratched his chin, and then typed something that produced such a perfectly appropriate, yet bizarre picture.

Jesus wept. With laughter.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Re: mad dog russo -- yikes!!

The more I hear Mike and the Mad Dog the more I hate both of them. I just can't listen. And that's after years of Mark Madden and Thor Tolo.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Is Les firing someone or accepting an award? I can't really tell he has so many "thank you's " in letter.

Draft saved Draft deleted