1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Important...Please read if you're a journalist...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jason_whitlock, Aug 28, 2006.

1. judy miller didn't break a sports story and this is sportsjournalists.com....

i support big brothers big sisters. i'm the spokesman here in kansas city. i donate time and money to help kids without adult mentors. i don't talk about it on sportsjournalists.com... i mostly write about sports journalists stuff on sportsjournalists.com... funny how that works.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jg said: "The Chronicle guys chose this. It was their duty to do so, but they chose it."

yes, and they also made a tidy little sum as well jg.

i'd spend a coupla weeks in jail to hit payday, but, we shouldn't belittle the fact these cats probably are going to see the wrong side of the bars for doing their jobs no matter how much coin they put in the vault.

my section will do something ... and plenty matters what folks come up with on this thread.

3. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

jpmacg,
    How do you know people here weren't indignant over what happened to Judy Miller? It wasn't discussed as much as say, cool 80s bands, but that doesn't mean we didn't talk about it extensively in news rooms or press boxes. No matter how much they dislike her or her methods, it's too bad many of her news peers wanted nothing to do with her.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Don't be dissing cool '80s bands.

5. jgmac,

reread your post. slowly. one. word. at. a. time. believe it or not, i'm able to comprehend much of what i read. maybe it hasn't crossed your mind that you haven't conveyed exactly what you wanted. or maybe you have. you're smarter than the rest of us and are involved in stuff that really matters. and we're a bunch of dumb@$$es because we've failed to support judy miller.

i'm extremely comfortable being that dumb.

good luck with your battles in other countries and with judy miller. if i'm ever on a message board journalistsinjailinothercountries.com, i'll talk about it. i'm a simple person. really simple.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Don't bait me, Jason, it's beneath you.

7. ain't nothing beneath me but my couch at the moment...

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yup. We shall vouch for that as a group.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Because we didn't mount a campaign to roll the bandwagon to Washington when she went to prison.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Not so obtuse I can't see that stifled and oppressed speech in any language is still stifled and oppressed speech.

Either you believe that the media should be shielded from contempt charges and jail time--especially when the only 'crime' is protecting a source--or you're shrugging at what you condemn in other cultures. It's the law? They asked for it? They knew what would happen? That's what they say in those faraway lands too.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No, damn it. Elif Sharak did NOT expect that to happen when she was hauled into Turkish court. That is an insult.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

And with that I say goodnight. Tell Rick I said hello when you see him, and that all journalists under duress everywhere, even the ones who don't write about sports, have my support.

Draft saved Draft deleted