1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Impersonating a reporter

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Deleted mine, because you did start the thread. I had no clue that had been on the board before, either, so this was news to me.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I hope the reporter cold-cocked the sonuvabitch afterward.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If he gets seven years for impersonating a reporter at a Mets' game, how many years should th eMets get for impersonating a major-league franchise during the 1990s?

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

*cough, cough*

5. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I think the interesting question is where an impersonating a reporter law originated and what it's intent was for. Surely, it wasn't to prosecute people who fake their way into sporting events. Do reporters actually yield such privilege in New York that there is cause for this law?

Further, what makes someone a journalist? It's not like this industry has a certification body or bar exam or anything. Is it a journalism degree, is it the quality of the media outlet you work with, where's the line?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There's no "impersonating a reporter" law. I just looked up the charges. They originally hit him with these: Criminal possession of a forged instrument, falsifying business records, larceny, criminal possession of stolen property, criminal impersonation and criminal trespass.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Wow. Starman justice has crept into MLB.

Draft saved Draft deleted