1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Impersonating a reporter

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Dude, I can think of five guys off the top of my head that should be facing seven years...
    (and let me beat someone out there to this, as well: this thread will not end well.)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2554962

Mets fan, 18, charged with impersonating reporter
    Assocaited Press
    NEW YORK -- Ryan Leli loves the New York Mets.
    The Suffolk County teenager loved the Mets so much that authorities say he posed as a reporter to get into Shea Stadium and talk with players.
    Police arrested Leli, 18, on Friday night at Shea just before the start of the Mets' game against the Colorado Rockies game and charged him with impersonating a journalist, the Queens district attorney announced Saturday.
    Prosecutors say Leli told Mets officials he worked for NBC Universal and showed a fake NBC employee identification card so he could get press credentials.
    Leli first used the press pass to attend an Aug. 10 game between the Mets and the San Diego Padres. Authorities said Leli used the pass to approach and chat with players including Mike Piazza before and after that game.
    Leli used the fake NBC identification again Friday to get another press pass for the Mets-Rockies game.
    Mets management apparently became suspicious and contacted authorities.
    Leli was also charged with criminal possession of a forged instrument, falsifying business records, larceny, criminal possession of stolen property, criminal impersonation and criminal trespass.
    He was arraigned Saturday in Queens Criminal Court and released.
    Leli was scheduled to return to court Sept. 27. He faces up to seven years in prison if he is convicted.
    Leli's attorney John Rapaway did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Thanks for checkin' in, Ryan. ;D

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Once, I tried to impersonate Stuart Scott, but they told me that I wasn't cool enough.........

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

See ya in seven years, COCKDIAN.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

jay horwitz is losing his fastball. 8) 8) 8)

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Is impersonating a reporter seriously a crime?

The other stuff (possession of a forged instrument, falsifying business records, larceny, criminal possession of stolen property, criminal impersonation and criminal trespass) I have no question about. But I had no idea impersonating a reporter was against the law. Good thing the Impersonating-a-(insert cool job here) police don't hang out in bars where guys try to pick up girls.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Awesome. :D

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Uh, Mets: Your creditation process is so fubar that an 18yo kid with a fake NBC employee ID can get a press pass from them? Are you pissed he got in, or are you pissed that you were so amazingly duped by someone just out of high school?

They certainly did throw the book at him, though. Jesus. Kick him out, ban him from the stadium, whatever -- but "criminal possession of a forged instrument, falsifying business records, larceny, criminal possession of stolen property, criminal impersonation and criminal trespass."

Yikes.

I'm calling 911 immediately. "I'd like to swear out a warrant for my SE, please."

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I impersonate a reporter every day.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

An 18 year old with a comb over, beer gut, two failed marriages and Ford Fiesta in the parking lot?

That's pretty impressive. :D

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I didn't know that Mark Sabia and Jeff Gannon had a love child

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It was the Mets who busted Mark Sabia (was that the name of the guy with the gaudy shirts and the big yellow microphone?), even though he was a staple at Knicks, Giants, every NY Team's, etc. games. Now this. I'd say if you want to pretend to be a sports reporter in NY, you might want to stay away from Jay Horowitz and give Rick Cerrone a try instead. Either that, or move out to Kansas City. I hear the Royals are eager to credential only the journalists who approach their jobs with fanlike enthusiasm.

Draft saved Draft deleted