1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Imagine

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

They have to stick to songs that Yoko appeared on.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Some good music, too, though.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Didn't Lennon famously say, "Before Reagan, there was nothing."

I know it's a non-issue, but the Beatles don't own their catalog, so if Bachmann pays the right amount to the Michael Jackson estate, she can use "Michelle" she'd have to drop the extra L though.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

No, no. He said the Beatles were bigger than Jesus, but not bigger than Reagan.

5. vicd

vicd Active Member

Not to mention that "Saved" is one of the funniest album covers of all-time.

6. Mizzougrad96

Very good point. Glad he stopped short before he really said something that was out of line. :D

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Mamet was slowing down, well-prior to his public conversion. While uneven, his earlier work included multiple positive masterstrokes of his art.

That Miller's leap over the fence to marked unfunniness came to pass just about the time of his
    public conversion is no coincidence.

True conservative humor is as thin a book as the other traditional punch lines regarding the topic. It's beyond debate. Sorry.

8. Mizzougrad96

Dennis Miller is still hilarious.

I know how hard it is for you guys to admit that you like anyone or anything that is republican, which is pretty sad.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

As a Christian, I totally agree with his comment. There's four Beatles and one Jesus. Unless we're working on the assumption that the Lord was Paul Bunyan's bigger brother, physically it's no contest.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Untrue.

People who know me more than I reveal on this board are aware that my political opinions on cerrtain subjects do not slavishly adhere to a particular party line.

Old-time Republicanism -- which included budget prudence, until Reagan booted that out the window . . . and keeping out of an individual's private, personal
    business (an issue which was OWNED by the GOP, until the Evangies got into the act) -- boasted some solid attributes.

But the current GOP brand has pretty-much tossed aside most-anything which appeals to anything other than rich whip-holders.

The lockstep legislative agendas of the yahoo governors of Texas, Wisconsin and Ohio speak volumes.

11. vicd

vicd Active Member

Dennis Miller has never been funny. Nothing to do with politics.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Lennon was embarrassed by his former radicalism and I'm embarrassed for him for Yoko Ono, so it all kinda' balances out. And really, who gives a shit about the political leanings of entertainers? It's irrelevant. I can't stand Nick DiPaolo's politics, but as a comedian I find him funny. One of my favorite moments was when a former coworker, who was a huge conservative and Toby Keith fan, read a story that Keith had (a) acknowledged he's a Democrat and (b) endorsed Obama in 2008. They were pissed; I couldn't stop laughing at the fact that they were pissed.

Draft saved Draft deleted