1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Imagine if Bud Selig or David Stern was caught driving drunk...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Dec 15, 2006.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They had no case. You wouldn't even need a lawyer to beat this... And the DA would have slapped the cops silly for wasting their time with such a weak case.

A witness reporting him driving erratically does nothing to prove that he was driving drunk. His admission that he had "a few drinks" earlier in the night, doesn't place him drunk behind the wheel. And lots of people have crashed cars without being drunk. They certainly did not have cause to issue a breathalyzer. They knocked on his door, while he was at home. Let's say he blows a .08. What does it prove, other than that he was at home having a few drinks? It certainly doesn't give them a DUI case.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I agree that they don't have a case, but if you don't think he was driving drunk, you're deluding yourself.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone is arguing he wasn't driving drunk. The assertion that this is some type of cover up is just wrong. They had no case and they knew it, so they didn't arrest him.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Did anyone say he wasn't?

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The wording of Ragu's last post made it seem he thinks that way.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Ms. Hill got a plate, presumably. Once they ran the registration, they knew exactly whom they were dealing with. Are you gonna tell me that in NO way affedted their investigation? Bullshit.

And spnited, thank you for being the only other person on this board who can see through the dog-and-pony show DBPD is trying to feed everyone.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

wicked, I love you. You know that, you douchebox.

But you're hoping for something that isn't there. If you change this guy's name to Joe Schmoe, and the police get to his house 20 minutes after he got in his house,a nd they then arrest him for DUI, you're screaming about rights and probable cause.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If this is Joe Schmoe, he ends up doing hard time. Brian France can afford to hire a friggin driver. No excuse for him taking to the roads in that shape.

What a crock.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a situation sort of like this about 10 years back or so where a news anchor in Miami hit someone with their car. He fled the scene and when the cops came to his house, he was drinking. Cops couldn't arrest him for drunk driving because they couldn't prove his blood alcohol level.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

They should have thrown him in the back of the car, beaten him with nightsticks and then spit on him! [/wicked]

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Starman justice!

12. dog428

dog428 Active Member

If this is Joe Schmoe, the same thing's happening to him, but there's no internal investigation.

If the guy's in his house, the tree he hit is in his yard and he's not admitting to drinking and driving, there's not shit that can be done. Not a damn thing -- TO ANYBODY. That goes for you, me and everybody else. And if they do try to arrest you, no DA would attempt to get a conviction and no judge would rule against the motion to dismiss the charges.

It doesn't matter that the guy was drinking and driving (and trust me, not a soul believes he wasn't), what matters are all these other details.

I don't think the DBPD covered anything up. Chitwood all but said he believes the guy was driving drunk. But he can't touch France in this case.

Draft saved Draft deleted