1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

i'm without speech

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This was the biggest story in the country for almost a month. It's absurd and maybe unprecedented, but this was not a regional thing. This was not just a sports thing. This was one of the top stories on the national news for almost a month.

I've never seen something so ridiculous in my entire life.

What's comparable? Is anything?

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I won't argue that Favre heading to the Jets was news. Of course it was.

Nor will I argue that Glazer had it when others didn't. Clearly he had the better source on this story. (As has been discussed, Favre himself was the least reliable source in the entire process, which is why ESPN and SI were left to scramble when the big moment came.)

What I will argue though is this: The column under discussion here can't be filed under "How I Got That Story." There's nothing in the column that reveals anything about how Glazer actually worked the story - (which of course no one could reasonably expect, because then he'd burn his source; or reveal himself to be merely lucky for having gotten the right phone call at the right time).

Rather, this can only be called "What It's Like to Wait For an Important Phone Call at the Airport," an awkward piece that succeeds in satisfying no one - neither readers' nor colleagues' curiosity about the matter at hand.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Right. The column should have been titled "How I made Ted Thompson like me more than all other journalists."

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

"Here's Why I Send The Thompson Family a Holiday Muffin and Jam Basket Every Christmas."

5. EE94

EE94 Guest

think you're thinking of the NHLPA stuff - the e-mail story that finally sunk Saskin

6. Thompson is one of the few NFL GMs who usually doesn't talk to the national media. I wonder if Glazer covered Thompson when he was a player or something like that. He's probably too young to have. It's a very curious connection.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

i have ZERO problem with giving jay kudos for being the first to get a HUGE story.

my problem with him/FOX is two-fold: 1 -- jay doesn't have the writing chops to pull off this sort of piece. 2 -- short of woodstein, u can't believe for a second that anyone gives a crap how hard we work to get a story, especially a sports story. beaking the news should be enough.

like the ol' saying goes, "i like sausage, but don't need to know how it's made."

always hated this kind of self-congratulatory piece and always will. find it hard to imagine joe schoe gives a darn. either.

the stuff woodstein kept coming up with helped lead to the downfall of a freakin' president. jay had nothing to do with this deal going down. he just reported it first.

good for him/FOX. but beyond those "exhilerating" minutes of the scoop, whoop-de-damn-doo, no?

8. silentbob

silentbob Member

For those who don' t think this is a big deal, ask the Green Bay and New York reporters how their bosses reacted when they were beaten. Or for that matter, ask the Tampa reporters who reported that Favre was going to the Bucs.

It's a big deal.

When I heard it announced my first thought was "How did he get that?"

I don't agree with Mizzou; it wasn't the biggest sports story ever. Everyone knew Favre was going to be traded. And I think most everyone knew the Jets were a possibility. Glazer was just told first. And that's still pretty important.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Glazer reporting that Favre move first makes me more likely to click on FOXSports and read his stuff.

His self-congratulatory piece makes me less likely to click on FOXSports and read his stuff.

Pretty much cancels itself out.

That's how I feel with so much ESPN stuff: Given their numbers and resources, it's hard to ignore them. Given their constant self-promotion, it's hard not to ignore them.

10. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I'm late to this one. But I think Ragu nailed it on the first page.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

again, two separate issues. good for "glaze" for being first.

but bad for him/FOX for beating their chests and believing anyone gives 2 cents how he worked the story around his airport runs and massages.

sheesh. ::) ::) ::)

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

SF, No need to apologize. But that isn't what I was saying. I wasn't saying it's not a scoop because what happens to Brett Favre isn't an important story. It's not a big deal to me because whether Jay Glazer was working it or not, the world was going to eventually (and fairly soon) know where Brett Favre ended up anyhow. It's not like he unearthed something we weren't going to know without his reporting skills. All he might have done (if he was there first) was find out about the trade moments before dozens of other reporters got phone calls or text messages and hundreds more found out via a press release. It's just not that big a deal, especially nowadays, when the Internet and cable news takes news like that and informs the whole world really quickly. No one is going to remember Jay Glazer as the guy who "broke the Brett Favre" story. It wasn't a huge scoop -- even the biggest bumbler of a reporter would have known an hour or two later, when the press release came out.

To me, it isn't a scoop if it is news that is about to be reported via a press release. A scoop is something you dig for that no one else has, had any idea was coming, and isn't going to be given away to the world in an hour or two.

Draft saved Draft deleted