1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm unreasonably sad about my car

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beanpole, Apr 30, 2012.

1. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

My first car was a 1987 Chevy Celebrity. Bought it used from a friend of my brother-in-law's for $200 in 1996.
    It had been in a wreck and needed work, which my brother-in-law did gratis. Or because my sister shamed him into it or gave him a thank-you BJ, I'm not sure which. I bought the replacement parts for a few hundred more, but it gave the car a blue door and fender, while the rest was silver/gray or rust. I figured it would cost more to get it painted than it was worth, so I just rolled with it that way. At one point I remember having to fill out a form with the car's info on it, and I put "mostly gray."
    The headliner started falling down not long after I bought the car. I tried using straight pins to keep it in place, but ended up with a lot of sharp pins scattered around the car. So I ended up carrying a stapler around. When it started to fall again, I'd whip out the stapler and put it back in place.
    The radio was, of course, secondhand. It had a tape deck that didn't work and a loose wire that caused one speaker to go in and out. I figured out how to shift it just right and get both of them to kick in.
    The driver's side door only opened from the outside, until I rigged up a piece of steel wire inside the door to fix the handle.
    The passenger's side door, because it was a replacement and not installed quite right, had a habit of popping open when going around sharp curves. I almost deposited my best friend into traffic a few times because of that.

God, I loved that car.

I drove it cross-country at least a dozen times. Slept in it on some of those trips. Had it my last two years of college, plus another three or four afterward. It got good mileage and rarely crapped out on me, with the exception of an ill-fated trip out west that's another story for another time.
    I drove eight hours in a raging snowstorm once. Took it to 23 states and put a little over 80,000 miles on it -- after it had 108,000 when I bought it. I felt invincible in that car. I felt like I could take it anywhere, do anything.
    Eventually it started to have its issues and I bought a new/used car that also had its issues.
    I sold it in 2002. Probably could have gotten more than I did for it. I think you can get $500 or $1,000 for the shell of a car. But I was feeling symbolic.
    I sold it for $200.

Draft saved Draft deleted